Sherlock Holmes Discourses
福尔摩斯的论述
It was one of those dramatic moments for which my friend existed.
这又是一个富于戏剧性的时刻,我的朋友就是为这样的时刻而生的。
It would be an overstatement to say that he was shocked or even excited by the amazing announcement.
如果说这个惊人的消息使他吃了一惊,或者说哪怕使他有所激动,那都言过其实了。
Without having a tinge of cruelty in his singular composition, he was undoubtedly callous from long overstimulation.
尽管在他的癖性中不存在残忍的成分,可是由于长期过度兴奋,他无疑变得冷漠起来。
Yet, if his emotions were dulled, his intellectual perceptions were exceedingly active.
然而,他的感情固然淡漠了,他的理智的洞察力却极端的敏锐。
There was no trace then of the horror which I had myself felt at this curt declaration;
这个简短的消息使我感到恐怖,可是福尔摩斯却丝毫不露声色,
but his face showed rather the quiet and interested composure of the chemist who sees the crystals falling into position from his oversaturated solution.
他的脸上显得颇为镇静而沉着,正像一个化学家看到结晶体从过饱和溶液里分离出来一样。
"Remarkable!" said he. "Remarkable!"
"意外!意外!"他说。
"You don't seem surprised."
"看来你并不感到吃惊啊!"
"Interested, Mr. Mac, but hardly surprised. Why should I be surprised?
"麦克先生,这只不过是引起了我的注意罢了,决不是吃惊。我为什么要吃惊呢?
I receive an anonymous communication from a quarter which I know to be important, warning me that danger threatens a certain person.
我从某方面接到一封匿名信并知道这封信非常重要。它警告我说危险正威胁着某个人。
Within an hour I learn that this danger has actually materialized and that the person is dead. I am interested; but, as you observe, I am not surprised."
一小时之内,我得知这个危险已成为现实,而那个人已经死了。正像你看到的那样,它引起了我的注意,可我并不吃惊。"
In a few short sentences he explained to the inspector the facts about the letter and the cipher.
他把这封信和密码的来由向那警官简单讲了一遍。
MacDonald sat with his chin on his hands and his great sandy eyebrows bunched into a yellow tangle.
麦克唐纳双手托着下巴坐着,两道淡茶色的浓眉蹙成一团。
"I was going down to Birlstone this morning," said he.
"今天早晨我本来是要到伯尔斯通去的,"麦克唐纳说。
"I had come to ask you if you cared to come with me -- you and your friend here. But from what you say we might perhaps be doing better work in London."
"我来的目的就是问一下你和你的这位朋友是否愿意和我一起去。不过,从你刚才的话来看,我们在伦敦也许能办得更好些。"
"I rather think not," said Holmes.
"我倒不这样想,"福尔摩斯说。
"Hang it all, Mr. Holmes!" cried the inspector.
"真是活见鬼了!福尔摩斯先生,"警官大声喊道。
"The papers will be full of the Birlstone mystery in a day or two; but where's the mystery if there is a man in London who prophesied the crime before ever it occurred?
"一两天内,报上就该登满'伯尔斯通之谜'了。可是既然在罪行还没有发生以前,已经有人在伦敦预料到了,那还算得上什么谜呢?
We have only to lay our hands on that man, and the rest will follow."
我们只要捉住这个人,其余的一切就迎刃而解了。"
"No doubt, Mr. Mac. But how do you propose to lay your hands on the so-called Porlock?"
"这是毫无疑问的,麦克先生。可是你打算怎样去捉住这个所谓的波尔洛克呢?"
MacDonald turned over the letter which Holmes had handed him.
麦克唐纳把福尔摩斯递给他的那封信翻过来说。
"Posted in Camberwell -- that doesn't help us much. Name, you say, is assumed. Not much to go on, certainly. Didn't you say that you have sent him money?"
"是从坎伯韦尔投寄的--这对我们也没有太大帮助。你说名字是假名。这当然不会有什么进展。你不是说你曾给他送过钱么?"
"Twice."
"送过两次。"
"And how?"
"怎样送给他的?"
"In notes to Camberwell postoffice."
"把钞票寄到坎伯韦尔邮局。"
"Did you ever trouble to see who called for them?"
"你没有设法去看看是谁取走的?"
"No."
"没有。"
The inspector looked surprised and a little shocked. "Why not?"
警官显出吃惊的样子,而且有些诧异地说:"为什么没有呢?"
"Because I always keep faith. I had promised when he first wrote that I would not try to trace him."
"因为我一贯守信用。他第一次写信给我时,我曾经答应不去追查他的行踪。"
"You think there is someone behind him?"
"你认为他背后有个什么人吗?"
"I know there is."
"我当然知道有。"
"This professor that I've heard you mention?"
"就是我曾经听你提到过的那位教授吗?"
"Exactly!"
"一点也不错!"