One day in early spring he had so far relaxed as to go for a walk with me in the Park, where the first faint shoots of green were breaking out upon the elms,
早春的一天,福尔摩斯清闲起来,居然有时间陪我到公园去散步,此时榆树已生出嫩绿的幼芽,
and the sticky spear-heads of the chestnuts were just beginning to burst into their fivefold leaves.
栗树梢头开始冒出五瓣形新叶。
For two hours we rambled about together, in silence for the most part, as befits two men who know each other intimately.
我们在一岂不言不语地漫步了两个小时,这对两个互知肺腑的人是很适合的。
It was nearly five before we were back in Baker Street once more.
我们回到贝克街时,已经近五点了。
"Beg pardon, sir," said our page-boy as he opened the door. "There's been a gentleman here asking for you, sir."
"请原谅,先生,"我们的小仆人一边开门一边说道。"有一位绅士来找过您,先生。"
Holmes glanced reproachfully at me.
福尔摩斯抱怨地望了我一眼。
"So much for afternoon walks!" said he. "Has this gentleman gone, then?"
"这都怪午后散步!"福尔摩斯说道,"那么,这位绅士已经走了吗?"
"Yes, sir."
"是的,先生。"
"Didn't you ask him in?"
"你没有请他进来吗?"
"Yes, sir, he came in."
"请了,先生,他进来过。"
"How long did he wait?"
"他等了多久?"
"Half an hour, sir. He was a very restless gentleman, sir, a-walkin' and a-stampin' all the time he was here.
"他等了半小时,先生。他非常焦躁不安,先生,他一直在屋中踱来踱去,跺着脚。
I was waitin' outside the door, sir, and I could hear him.
我在门外等候,先生,可是我能听到他的动静。
At last he outs into the passage, and he cries, 'Is that man never goin' to come?'
最后他走到过道里大声叫喊说:'是不是他不打算回来了?'
Those were his very words, sir.
他的原话就是这样,先生。
'You'll only need to wait a little longer,' says I.
我说:'请再稍等一等。'
'Then I'll wait in the open air, for I feel half choked,' says he. 'I'll be back before long.'
他又说:'那么我到外面去等好了,我在这里快闷死了,过一会我就回来。'
And with that he ups and he outs, and all I could say wouldn't hold him back."
说完他就走了,我说什么也留不住他。"
"Well, well, you did your best," said Holmes as we walked into our room.
"好了,好了,你做得很对,"我们走进屋中,福尔摩斯说道。