手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 品牌英语听力 > 六分钟英语 > 正文

第502期:牙医的钻机 Dentist's Drill

来源:可可英语 编辑:Leon   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

Hello, I'm Alice, and I'm Stephen, and this is 6 Minute English!

大家好,我是爱丽丝,我是斯蒂芬,这里是英语六分钟!

This week we’re talking about a very common phobia – a fear of the dentist – and a possible new treatment.

本周我们将讨论一种非常常见的恐惧症——牙医恐惧症——以及一种可能的新治疗方法。

But first of all, Stephen, how does this sound make you feel?

但首先,斯蒂芬,这声音让你感觉如何?

Ouch! Oh, that sounds very painful.

哎哟! 天,听起来很痛苦。

Oh, are you scared of going to the dentist?

哦,你害怕看牙医吗?

Yeah, absolutely terrified.

是的,非常害怕。

Oh - you poor thing.

哦,你好可怜。

Well, as usual I’m going to ask you a question related to today’s topic.

和往常一样,我要问你一个和今天的话题有关的问题。

Which of these is NOT a real phobia – a word that describes a persistent and sometimes irrational fear?

下面哪个不是真正的恐惧症——一个描述持续的、有时是非理性的恐惧的词?

Are you ready?

你准备好了吗?

Yes.

是的。

OK… a) agoraphobia, b) arachnophobia, c) televiphobia.

a)广场恐惧症,b)蜘蛛恐惧症,c)电视恐惧症。

I’m going to take a guess on c, televiphobia.

我猜是c,电视恐惧症。

Well, I won’t tell you the answer now - but we’ll find out at the end of the programme.

好吧,我现在不会告诉你答案,但我们会在节目的最后找到答案。

Now let’s find out about this new gadget which might help people who are scared of visiting the dentist – that’s dentaphobia by the way.

现在让我们来看看这个新装置,它可能会帮助那些害怕看牙医的人——顺便说一下,这是牙医恐惧症。

A fear of going to the dentist.

害怕去看牙医的一种情况。

Here’s Dentist Dr Andrew Parkman, describing how some patients feel when they come to sit in his consulting chair:

牙医安德鲁·帕克曼博士描述了一些病人坐在他的咨询椅上时的感受:

We kind of notice people as soon as the drill starts up.

钻头一启动,我们就会注意病人。

They can tense up, they might tense their shoulders, they might tense their fingers.

他们可能神经紧绷,他们的肩膀可能会绷紧,他们也可能会绷紧手指。

Certainly, you can see a tension come over them with that sound - that high-pitched noise.

当然,你会发现他们一听到声音——那种高分贝的噪音,就会紧张。

Dr Parkman says his patients tense up – the dentist can see a tension come over them with that high-pitched sound of the drill.

帕克曼医生说,他的病人会紧张不安——牙医发现牙钻发出的高分贝声音使他们感到紧张。

It puts them off going to the dentist.

这会让他们不想去看牙医。

It puts them off – it discourages them from doing something.

让他们望而却步——不愿做某事。

So let’s look at this new gadget which blocks out the sound of the drill.

让我们来看看这个能屏蔽钻头声音的新装置。

It’s just a prototype at the moment.

目前还只是个原型。

A prototype is the first form of something which may go on to be manufactured.

原型是可以继续制造的东西的第一种形式。

In this case, it’s a gadget the size of a mobile phone which can block out the sound of the dentist’s drill.

在这个案例中,它是一个手机大小的小装置,可以屏蔽牙医钻的声音。

Here’s Professor Brian Millar from King’s College London’s Dental Institute, telling us how the prototype works:

来自伦敦国王学院牙科研究所的布莱恩·米勒教授告诉我们这个原型是如何工作的:

It listens to the sound - as it’s happening - of the dentist’s drill inside the patient’s mouth, which as everybody knows is a horrible sound.

当牙医在病人嘴里钻牙时,它会识别病人嘴里的声音,众所周知,这是一种可怕的声音。

So bad, in fact, that it actually puts some patients even off going to the dentist to seek important dental health care.

事实上,它非常糟糕,以至于一些病人甚至不愿去牙医那里完成重要的牙科保健项目。

So, we listen to the sound of the drill, we produce a cancelling signal which is really effectively an opposite sound – and then we just knock it out with the filtering system.

所以,识别了钻头的声音,再产生一个抵消信号,实际上是一个相反的声音,然后我们可以用过滤系统把它去掉。

The gadget produces a cancelling signal, an opposite sound to knock out the sound of the drill.

这个装置会产生一个抵消信号,一种相反的声音来抵消钻头的声音。

This means the patient can listen to music and can still hear the voice of the dentist or dental nurse, but they won’t hear the high-pitched sound of the drill.

这意味着病人可以听音乐,并且仍可以听到牙医或牙科护士的声音,但他们不会听到钻头的尖锐声音。

It uses a sound filtering system.

它使用的是声音过滤系统。

So are we hoping that these gadgets will be in all dentist’s surgeries soon?

那么,我们是否能期待这些小玩意很快就能出现在所有牙医手术中呢?

Well, the team that developed them are still looking for a manufacturer to mass-produce the prototypes.

研发团队仍在寻找能批量生产原型机的制造商。

So in the meantime, perhaps we need some advice from the experts about how to deal with a phobia of the dentist.

与此同时,也许我们需要一些专家的建议,告诉我们如何应对牙医恐惧症。

Here’s Dr Kathy Sykes with some advice about how to keep calm when you’re feeling anxious: It’s worth trying to work out what your own response is.

关于如何在焦虑时保持冷静,凯西·赛克斯博士给出了一些建议:弄清楚自己的反应是什么非常有必要。

So for instance, remember the last time you had an anxiety problem – and think about what your body did.

例如,上一次你焦虑时,想想你的身体是怎么反应的。

You know, did you feel hot?

你觉得热吗?

Did you find your hands beginning to clench?

你发现自己的手握紧了吗?

And then the next time you find your hands clenching – or find, you know, whatever symptom it was you spotted, try to do something to calm down.

然后下次当你发现手握紧的时候,或者不管你发现了什么症状,试着做点什么事情让自己冷静下来。

Taking a few moments outside for some fresh air to clear your head - or maybe just listening to a bit of music.

花点时间到外面呼吸点新鲜空气,让头脑清醒一下——或者只是听点音乐。

Whatever you think calms you down.

只要你觉得能让你冷静下来。

Try to do that.

就试着去做。

Dr Kathy Sykes says that if you can spot the symptoms when you feel anxious – worried – you can help yourself to try to calm down.

凯西·赛克斯医生说,如果你能在感到焦虑时发现这些症状,你就能帮助自己冷静下来。

The symptoms are how your body shows the anxiety.

症状是你的身体表现出焦虑的方式。

Do you feel hot?

你觉得热吗?

Do you clench up your hands into little balls?

你会把双手攥成拳头吗?

She suggests you listen to music or go outside for some fresh air when you feel these symptoms.

她建议当你感到有这些症状时,听听音乐或出去呼吸新鲜空气。

Now, before we go let’s answer our question.

现在,在结束之前,让我们来回答之前的问题。

We heard a couple of terms used to describe phobias.

我们听到了一些用来描述恐惧症的术语。

But I made one of them up, Stephen.

但其中一个是我编的,斯蒂芬。

Did you guess which?

你猜到是哪个了吗?

Let me see.

让我想想。

You said 'agoraphobia' – I think that’s a real phobia – it’s a fear of going outside.

你说的是“广场恐惧症”——我认为这是一种真正的恐惧症——它是一种对外出的恐惧。

Correct. And 'arachnophobia'?

没错。那“蜘蛛恐惧症”呢?

Oh, that’s a very common phobia.

哦,这是一种很常见的恐惧症。

A fear of spiders, I believe?

我想是害怕蜘蛛吧?

Well done!

非常棒!

So I’m guessing 'televiphobia' was the odd one out.

所以我猜“电视恐惧症”是最奇怪的那个。

You’re right.

你是对的。

And your prize, Stephen, is to read some of the words and phrases that we’ve used in today’s programme!

斯蒂芬,你的奖品是朗读我们今天节目中用到的一些单词和短语!

Phobia, persistent, irrational, patients, tense up, it puts them off, prototype, gadget, cancelling signal, drill, anxious, symptoms.

恐惧症,持续的,非理性的,病人,紧张,让他们望而却步,原型,小玩意,取消信号,钻机,焦虑,症状。

Well, we hope you’ve had fun with us today on 6 Minute English - and that you’ll join us again next time. Bye.

好了,我们希望你在今天的六分钟英语中发现了乐趣,下次也和我们一起吧。再见。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
persistent [pə'sistənt]

想一想再看

adj. 固执的,坚持的,连续的

联想记忆
produce [prə'dju:s]

想一想再看

n. 产品,农作物
vt. 生产,提出,引起,

联想记忆
irrational [i'ræʃənəl]

想一想再看

n. 无理数 adj. 无理性的,不合理的

联想记忆
dentist ['dentist]

想一想再看

n. 牙科医生

联想记忆
effectively [i'fektivli]

想一想再看

adv. 事实上,有效地

 
describe [dis'kraib]

想一想再看

vt. 描述,画(尤指几何图形),说成

联想记忆
tension ['tenʃən]

想一想再看

n. 紧张,拉力,张力,紧张状态,[电]电压

联想记忆
block [blɔk]

想一想再看

n. 街区,木块,石块
n. 阻塞(物), 障

 
absolutely ['æbsəlu:tli]

想一想再看

adv. 绝对地,完全地;独立地

 
symptom ['simptəm]

想一想再看

n. 症状,征兆

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。