Their interest rather touched me and made them less remotely rich —
他们的关心让我很感动,也使他们不显得那么富有以至于高不可攀了——
nevertheless, I was confused and a little disgusted as I drove away.
尽管如此,当我开车离开的时候,我还是有些困惑和厌恶。
It seemed to me that the thing for Daisy to do was to rush out of the house, child in arms,
在我看来,黛西应该做的就是抱着孩子冲出家门,
but apparently there were no such intentions in her head.
但显然她的脑子里并没有这样的打算。
As for Tom, the fact that he “had some woman in New York.” was really less surprising than that he had been depressed by a book.
至于汤姆,他“在纽约有个女人”这种事倒不奇怪,奇怪的是他会因为读了一本书而感到沮丧。
Something was making him nibble at the edge of stale ideas
不知是什么让他从一些陈腐的观点中获取精神食粮,
as if his sturdy physical egotism no longer nourished his peremptory heart.
仿佛他那强健身躯上的自我主义已不再滋养他那颗唯我独尊的心了。
Already it was deep summer on roadhouse roofs and in front of wayside garages,
公路旅馆的房顶和路边加油站门前已然是一派盛夏的光景,
where new red gas-pumps sat out in pools of light,
新的红色加油机放置在光线充足的地方。
and when I reached my estate at West Egg I ran the car under its shed
当我到达西卵的庄园时,我把车开到车棚下,
and sat for a while on an abandoned grass roller in the yard.
在院子里一个废弃的压草机上坐了一会儿。
The wind had blown off, leaving a loud, bright night, with wings beating in the trees and a persistent organ sound
风已经停了,留下一个嘈杂、明亮的夜晚,鸟雀拍动翅膀的声音在树上传来,伴着持续不断的管风琴声响,
as the full bellows of the earth blew the frogs full of life.
仿佛大地吹响了风箱,让青蛙也鼓足了力气发出蛙鸣。
The silhouette of a moving cat wavered across the moonlight, and turning my head to watch it,
一只猫的侧影在月光下晃动,我转过头去看,
I saw that I was not alone — fifty feet away a figure had emerged from the shadow of my neighbor's mansion
发现我不是一个人——五十英尺开外,一个人影从我邻居的豪宅阴影处走了出来,
and was standing with his hands in his pockets regarding the silver pepper of the stars.
他站在那里,双手插在口袋里,凝视着银色的星光。
Something in his leisurely movements and the secure position of his feet upon the lawn suggested that it was Mr. Gatsby himself,
他悠闲的动作和双脚稳稳地踏在草坪上的姿势中似乎表明这就是盖茨比先生本人,
come out to determine what share was his of our local heavens.
出来确定一下本地的天空哪一片是属于他的。
I decided to call to him.
我决定跟他打招呼。
Miss Baker had mentioned him at dinner, and that would do for an introduction.
贝克小姐在吃饭时提到过他,那就可以作为介绍词了。
But I didn't call to him, for he gave a sudden intimation that he was content to be alone —
但我没有叫他,因为他显然似乎更愿意一个人呆着——
he stretched out his arms toward the dark water in a curious way,
他朝着幽暗的海水伸出双臂,
and, far as I was from him, I could have sworn he was trembling.
尽管我离他很远,我敢发誓他在颤抖。
Involuntarily I glanced seaward — and distinguished nothing
我不由自主地向大海瞥了一眼,可是什么也看不出来
except a single green light, minute and far away, that might have been the end of a dock.
除了远处一盏微弱的绿灯,那可能就是码头的尽头了。
When I looked once more for Gatsby he had vanished, and I was alone again in the unquiet darkness.
当我再回头找盖茨比的时候,他已经不见了,我又在独自一人处在不安的黑暗中了。