The enchantress remarked nothing of this, until once Rapunzel said to her:
女巫什么也没有发现,直到有一天莴苣姑娘问她:
''Tell me, Dame Gothel, how it happens that you are so much heavier for me to draw up
"我问你,教母,我拉你的时候怎么总觉得你
than the young king's son--he is with me in a moment.''
比那个年轻的王子重得多?他可是一下子就上来了。"
''Ah! you wicked child,'' cried the enchantress.
"啊!你这坏孩子!"女巫嚷道,
''What do I hear you say! I thought I had separated you from all the world, and yet you have deceived me!''
"你在说什么?我以为你与世隔绝了呢,没想到你竟然骗了我!"
In her anger she clutched Rapunzel's beautiful tresses, wrapped them twice round her left hand,
她怒气冲冲地一把抓住莴苣姑娘漂亮的辫子,在左手上缠了两道,
seized a pair of scissors with the right, and snip, snap, they were cut off, and the lovely braids lay on the ground.
又用右手拿起一把剪刀,咔擦几下,它们被剪掉了,美丽的辫子便落在了地上。
And she was so pitiless that she took poor Rapunzel into a desert where she had to live in great grief and misery.
然后,她又无情地把莴苣姑娘送到一片荒野中,让她凄惨痛苦地生活在那里。
On the same day that she cast out Rapunzel, however,
莴苣姑娘被送走的当天,
the enchantress fastened the braids of hair, which she had cut off, to the hook of the window,
女巫把剪下来的辫子绑在塔顶的窗钩上。
and when the king's son came and cried:
王子走来喊道:
''Rapunzel, Rapunzel,
"莴苣,莴苣,
Let down your hair to me.''
把你的头发垂下来。 "