手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 全球顶级智囊访谈 > 正文

关于失败的另一面(上)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Daisy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Do something where it's going to go bad.

做一些可能不会成功的事情。

Where you know that ahead of time.

你提前可能已经知道结果。

'Cause like what's the worst that can happen?

可能发生的最坏情况是什么?

You have to try a lot of things.

你必须尝试很多东西。

Most things will fail, but that doesn't mean you're a failure.

大多数事情会失败,但这并不意味着你是一个失败者。

That just means that idea failed.

那只是意味着那个想法失败了。

And what can you learn from that idea?

你能从那个想法中学到什么?

And then move forward.

继续前进。

The very concepts of success and failure I think are words that never really meant anything.

我认为成功和失败的概念本身没有真正的意义。

And actually, I strongly suspect they have a lot to do with privilege.

实际上,我强烈怀疑它们与特权有很大关系。

I often get questions from young students, and they say, well, how did you become a success?

我经常收到年轻学生的问题,他们说,那么,你是如何成功的?

Or another great question these days is how did you overcome failure?

或者另一个很好的问题是,你是如何克服失败的?

And the funny thing is I found myself really kind of at a loss because the very concepts of success and failure I think are words that never really meant anything.

有趣的是,我发现自己真的有点不知所措,因为成功和失败的概念对我来说是没有真正意义的词。

And actually, I strongly suspect they have a lot to do with privilege.

实际上,我强烈怀疑它们与特权有很大关系。

That if you can make yourself in the model of a research professor of 100 years ago, that's defined as a success.

如果你能让自己沿袭100年前的研究教授的模式,那就被定义为成功。

And if you do something different it's defined as a failure.

而如果你做一些不同的事情,就会被定义为失败。

There's never been any time in my life where, even after having received an award,or having been on a television show, I sat back and said, boy, I really feel like a success.

在我的生活中,即使是在获得了一个奖项,或上了一个电视节目之后,我从来没有真的觉得自己很成功。

It was always wrapped up in feelings of I should've done something differently, I should've had a different career path.

我应该做不同的事情,我应该追寻不同的职业道路。

There's never been a time where I felt like a success.

从来没有任何时候,我觉得自己是成功的。

And at the same time the idea that you ever really fail at something.

同时,也不觉得自己会真正失败。

There are plenty of times that, I very nearly failed differential equations in calculus, there were things that I was not very good at.

有很多时候,我在微积分的微分方程差点不及格,有些东西我不是很擅长。

But I eventually got them on, say, the third or fourth try.

但我最终在第三或第四次尝试时成功了。

And the problem was just staying around and telling yourself that I really want to learn this, and I'm just not gonna leave until I do.

因为我呆在那里,告诉自己,我真的想学这个,在我学会之前,我不会放弃。

There wasn't any really true failure either.

所以没有任何真正的失败。

It was always kind of twisted up with things I was proud of, that I was actually working through and trying to learn.

它与我引以为豪的事情不可分割,我实际上正在努力学习经验。

So this idea that at some point in your life you're going to stop and feel like a success.

所以,在你生命中的某个时刻,你会停下来,觉得自己是个成功者。

Yes, I am successful now.

是的,我现在很成功。

I get very, very nervous when people ask me about that, about how did you become a success.

当人们问我这个问题时,我非常非常紧张,问我是如何成功的。

I wanna sit them down and tell them all the things I screwed up, and all the things I did wrong,and all the reasons I'm not a success.

我想让他们坐下来,告诉他们所有我搞砸的事情,所有我做错的事情,以及所有我不成功的原因。

And at the same time, when anybody calls me a failure, it's like, I wanna sit you down and explain why what I'm doing is actually getting your money and your funding for the rest of science.

同时,当有人说我是失败者时,我就想让你坐下来,解释为什么我所做的事情实际上是为了获得你的钱和你对科学的其他资助。

I'm not a failure either.

我也不是一个失败者。

Everything in life is gonna be a flow between those two things.

生活中的一切都会介于这两者之间。

Everything is gonna be a jumble of success and failure.

一切都会是成功和失败的交错。

Your personal life,your professional life, the way you feel about yourself.

你的个人生活,你的职业生活,你对自己的感觉。

And it's a strange model we give young people.

这是我们给年轻人设定的一个奇怪的模式。

Try to be a success, try to overcome failure.

努力成为一个成功者,努力克服失败。

All I can do is just kind of breathe and just realize that at no point in my life am I gonna separate those two.

我所能做的就是呼吸,并意识到在我的生活中,我不会将这两者分开。

So I was maybe a year or two years into comedy.

我花费了一两年时间进入喜剧行业。

Went home to this job, came back, and was over-- I haven't thought about this in a while—I was overcome by fright.

回到家乡做这份工作,回来,然后又结束了这份工作,我已经有一段时间没有想过这个问题了,我被吓坏了。

I couldn't get back on stage. I couldn't do it.

我无法回到舞台上。我做不到。

I would drive from my apartment in West LA,30 minutes towards The Comedy Store.

我从我在西洛杉矶的公寓开车,30分钟后到喜剧剧场。

Find parking, get out of my car, walk to The Comedy Store.

找到停车场,从车里出来,走到喜剧剧场。

Because you get an employee spot every week, and I was an employee, so you get your three minutes,and it was the highlight of your week.

因为每周都有一个员工名额,而我是一个员工,所以你可以获得三分钟,这是你一周的高光时刻。

And I would park,go in, turn around, get back into my car, and go home without getting on stage.

我把车停好,进去,转身,回到我的车里,没有上台就回家了。

I couldn't do it. I couldn't do it. I didn't know what to do.

我无法做到这一点。我做不到。我不知道该怎么办。

So what I did was I intentionally, I mean,it was, that was gonna be the end for me.

我是故意那么做的,我的意思是,那将是我的事业终点。

If I can't go on stage, I can't be a comic,you know?

如果我不能上台,我就不能成为一个喜剧演员,你知道吗?

So what I did was, I told myself like do something where it's going to go bad,where you know that ahead of time.

所以我所做的是,告诉自己,做一些你可能提前就知道会失败的事情。

Because like, what's the worst that can happen? You know, that kind of thing.

因为,最坏的情况能是什么?诸如此类的。

So I went to The Comedy Store.

所以我去了喜剧剧场。

I said, I'm not gonna say a word, in my head, I'm like, I'm not gonna say anything for my whole time I'm on stage.

我会在脑海里告诉自己,我一个字都不会说,我在舞台上的所有时间里,会一言不发。

And I'm just gonna see what happens.

我只是要看看会发生什么。

So I went in, I put my tape recorder down, I like press record.

所以我进去了,我把录音机放下,我想按下录音。

And then I was like .

然后我就想。

And then I just kept looking around, and just three minutes of silence.

我就一直环顾四周,只有三分钟的寂静。

Like this can't go well.

这不可能很顺利。

So like, it's not gonna affect me if it doesn't 'cause I'm trying to tank it.

如果它现在影响不到我,那未来也不会影响我,因为我正在故意经历最糟糕的情况。

But then I could get on stage, I could feel what it's like in front of the crowd.

但后来我可以上台了,有机会感受到站在观众面前是什么样子。

I actually got a couple laughs.

实际上我还把观众给逗笑了。

Just stuff like, you know, shrugs and stuff, and how ridiculous it was.

就像耸耸肩之类的,很搞笑。

And then after that I was able to get back on stage again.

之后,我又能回到舞台上了。

I was like, that's the worst. I can handle the worst. So now let me go.

我当时想,那就是最糟糕的情况。最坏的情况我都应付得来。那就让我上吧。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
silence ['sailəns]

想一想再看

n. 沉默,寂静
vt. 使安静,使沉默

 
jumble ['dʒʌmbl]

想一想再看

vi. 掺杂,混杂
vt. 使混乱,搞乱

联想记忆
affect [ə'fekt]

想一想再看

vt. 影响,作用,感动

联想记忆
highlight ['hailait]

想一想再看

n. 加亮区,精彩部分,最重要的细节或事件,闪光点

 
suspect [səs'pekt]

想一想再看

n. 嫌疑犯
adj. 令人怀疑的,不可信的<

联想记忆
twisted ['twistid]

想一想再看

adj. 扭曲的 v. 扭动(twist的过去式)

 
ridiculous [ri'dikjuləs]

想一想再看

adj. 荒谬的,可笑的

联想记忆
eventually [i'ventjuəli]

想一想再看

adv. 终于,最后

 
comic ['kɔmik]

想一想再看

n. 连环图画,喜剧演员,喜剧元素
adj.

联想记忆
haven ['heivn]

想一想再看

n. 港口,避难所,安息所 v. 安置 ... 于港中,

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。