But here it was written: "OH, WERE I RICH!"
下面是中尉写的诗:“哦,让我发财吧!”
"Oh, were I rich!" Such was my wish,
“哦,让我发财吧!”我祈祷过好几次,
Yea such when hardly three feet high, I longed for much.
那时我不过是一两尺高的孩子。
Oh, were I rich! An officer were I,
哦,让我发财吧!我要成一个军官,
With sword, and uniform, and plume so high.
戴上羽毛,穿起制服,挂上宝剑。
And the time came, and officer was I!
后来我居然也当上了军官,
But yet I grew not rich.
可是很不幸,我一直没有发财!
Alas, poor me!
啊,我真是一个贫穷的人啊。
Have pity, thou, who all man's wants dost see.
上帝呀,请您伸出援助的手来!
I sat one evening sunk in dreams of bliss,
有天晚上我是既幸福又年青,
A maid of seven years old gave me a kiss,
一个七岁的姑娘吻了我的嘴唇,
I at that time was rich in poesy
那时的我虽然穷得不能再穷,
And tales of old, though poor as poor can be;
却有丰富的诗歌和古老的故事,
But all she asked for was this poesy.
而她所要求的只是这首诗。
Then was I rich, but not in gold, poor me!
所以我很富有,只是,唉,没有钱,可怜的我!
As Thou dost know, who all men's hearts canst see.
我们的上帝清清楚楚知道这一点!
"Oh, were I rich!" Oft asked I for this boon.
我仍向上帝祈祷:"让我发财吧!"
The child grew up to womanhood full soon.
那个七岁的姑娘现在已经长大。
She is so pretty, clever, and so kind.
她是那么美丽、聪明和善良;
Oh, did she know what's hidden in my mind -- A tale of old.
唯愿她知道我心中对她的向往—一个古老的故事。
Would she to me were kind!
唯愿她对我好,像从前那样。
But I'm condemned to silence! oh, poor me!
但是我很穷,不敢对她表示。
As Thou dost know, who all men's hearts canst see.
这就是我们的上帝的意旨!
Oh, were I rich in calm and peace of mind,
只要我发财,过得舒服和愉快,
My grief you then would not here written find!
我也就不在纸上写下我的悲哀。
O thou, to whom I do my heart devote,
我热恋的人啊,如果你对我了解,
Oh read this page of glad days now remote,
请读这首诗——它代表我的青春时代。
A dark, dark tale, which I tonight devote!
不过最好你还是不要了解我。
Dark is the future now. Alas, poor me!
因为我很穷,前途是一团漆黑。
Have pity Thou, who all men's pains dost see.
愿我们的上帝祝福你!