Hey there! Squeaks and I were just warming up a little bit.
你们好啊!吱吱和我只是稍微热身一下。
It snowed at the Fort recently, so we decided to head out for a nature walk.
最近福特堡下雪了,所以我们决定出去走走。
Sometimes you notice things in the snow that you might not normally see.
有时你会注意到雪地里通常看不到的东西。
For example — I was lucky enough to see some animal tracks!
例如,我有幸看到了一些动物的足迹!
And just look what Squeaks found!
看看吱吱叫发现了什么!
Yes! Squeaks found some pine cones along the trail.
是! 吱吱在小道上发现了一些松果。
Because pine cones are brown, they can sometimes be hard to notice on the ground.
因为松果是棕色的,所以它们有时在地上很难被注意到。
But they stand out quite a bit against the white snow!
但是它们在白雪的映衬下显得相当显眼!
So we picked up a couple of them and brought them back to the Fort with us to take a closer look!
所以我们捡了几个,把它们带回堡垒,让我们仔细看一看!
Oh, check it out, Squeaks!
哦,看看这个,吱吱!
The pine cones we picked up have changed a little bit since we brought them in.
我们捡到的松果自从我们带进来后有了一点变化。
When they were outside… they were all closed up.
当松果在外面的时候,它们是闭合的。
There weren’t any gaps or spaces on the cone that we could see.
松果上没有我们能看到的任何间隙或空间。
But now that they’re inside… they’re starting to open up a little bit.
但现在它们在室内...它们开始有点开放了。
We can tell because there are spaces between the pine cone’s scales.
我们能看出来是因为松果的鳞片之间有空隙。
Yes, scales.
是的,鳞片。
We use the same word for these woody parts of the pine cone as we do for the scales that cover the outside of a fish.
我们用同样的词来形容松果的这些木质部分,就像我们用来形容覆盖在鱼外面的鳞片一样。
They look a little alike, don’t you think?
他们看起来有点像,你不觉得吗?
We can see that our pine cones’ scales have spread apart.
我们可以看到松果的鳞片散开了。
“Why ” That's a great question!
“为什么”这是个很棒的问题!
To understand the answer, we should talk a little bit more about pine cones.
要理解答案,我们应该多多地谈论松果。
And look inside one!
再看看里面的一个!
If we look underneath the scales of an open pine cone, we can see that this kind of cone has seeds inside.
如果我们看一看一个散开的松果的鳞片下面,我们可以看到这种松果里面有种子。
And seeds are how some plants reproduce – how they make new, baby plants.
种子是一些植物繁殖的方式--它们如何长出新的、初期的植物。
Plants need light and water to grow.
植物需要光和水才能生长。
So seeds need to travel to places where theres’s enough light and water for them to grow into big, healthy plants.
因此,种子需要传播到有足够的光照和水分的地方,才能长成巨大而健康的植物。
Great question, Squeaks!
问得好,吱吱!
Seeds don't grow as well beneath their parent plants because it's harder for them to get enough light and water.
种子在母体植物下生长得不好,因为它们很难获得足够的光和水。
Imagine a little pine seed fell from a pine cone and tried to grow right where it landed.
想象一下,一颗小松籽从松果上掉了下来,并试图在落地的地方生长。
Not only would the parent tree block the seed from getting the sun it needs, but it would actually guzzle up all the water it needs too.
这棵母树不仅会阻止种子获得它需要的阳光,而且还会消耗掉所有它需要的水分。
This is why many seeds need to travel far away to grow.
这就是为什么许多种子需要走很远的路才能生长。
And the pine cone helps them do that!
松果帮助它们做到了这一点!
Are you ready to see how?
你准备好去观看是怎么做到的吗?
Let’s take a closer look at what makes these pine cones open and close.
让我们仔细看看是什么让这些松果打开和关闭的。
We’ll take two of our pine cones, and leave one here on the table.
我们要拿两个松果,把一个留在桌子上。
And we’ll put the other one in this glass of water!
我们会把另一个放进这杯水里!
Let’s see if anything happens.
让我们看看有没有什么事发生。
Oh, look, Squeaks… the two pine cones look different now!
哦,看,吱吱…这两个松果现在看起来不一样了!
The one we left on the tabletop has opened up some more.
我们放在桌面上的那一张张开了很多。
There is more space between its scales.
它的鳞片之间有更多的空间。
But the one we put in the water closed up again!
但是我们放在水里的那个松果又闭合了!
So whether a pine cone is open or closed depends on if it’s wet or not.
所以松果是打开还是闭合取决于它是湿的还是不湿的。
The cone changes based on the environment it’s in!
松果会根据它所处的环境而变化!
Cool! So why do you think the pine cones we picked up on our walk were closed, Squeaks
太棒了!那么,你认为为什么我们在散步时捡到的松果是闭合着的呢?
Yep, you’re right.
是的,你说得对。
We picked our pine cones out of the wet snow.
我们从湿雪中捡起了松果。
So the pine cones were closed up tightly, holding the seeds inside.
所以松果紧紧地闭合了,把种子夹在里面。
Which means that when it’s wet outside, the seeds are trapped inside the pine cone.
这意味着当外面潮湿时,种子会被困在松果内。
So why do you think that is?
你认为这是为什么呢?
How do you think we can figure out what’s going on?
你觉得我们要怎么弄清楚发生了什么?
Squeaks, Good guess!
吱吱, 好想法!
We can find some clues by looking at the structure, or shape, of these pine seeds.
我们可以通过观察这些松籽的结构或形状找到一些线索。
Hey, Squeaks!
嘿,吱吱!
What does this part of the seed remind you of ?
种子的这一部分让你想起了什么?
Oooh, I agree!
哦,我同意!
It reminds me of a sail… or a kite.
它让我想起了帆……或者风筝。
And it’s a good clue to how these seeds travel.
这是这些种子如何传播的一个很好的线索。
When the wind blows, it blows against this wide, flat part of the seed and carries it far away from the parent tree.
当风吹的时候,它吹向种子宽阔平坦的这一部分,并把它带到远离母树的地方。
But when the seed is wet, it’s heavier, and it won’t get carried as far by the wind.
但是当种子湿的时候,它会变得更重,不会被风吹得那么远。
When the pine cone is wet, parts of its scales get filled with water.
当松果湿的时候,它的部分鳞片会被水填满。
The water makes them curl up and close.
水让它们蜷缩起来,合上来。
So in wet weather, the pine cone closes up and keeps the seeds inside.
因此,在潮湿的天气里,松果会闭合,把种子留在里面。
And this is good for the tree, because they wouldn’t get carried very far by the wind, so they might not land in a good place to grow.
这对树有好处,因为它们不会被风吹到很远的地方,所以它们可能不会落在生长的好地方。
But when the weather is dry, the pine cone’s scales stretch back open…
但当天气干燥时,松果的鳞片会再次伸展开…
so the seeds have a better chance of getting carried off by the wind!
所以种子被风吹走的可能性更大!
The pine cone opens at the right time to spread the seeds!
松果在合适的时间打开,散播种子!
You’re right… it is pretty cool!
你说得对,这真是太酷了!
And speaking of cool, how about we go and warm up a little bit more?
说到冷,我们去暖暖身子怎么样?
I’ll make some hot cocoa as a treat!
我要做些热可可作为款待!
Thanks for joining us here on SciShow Kids.
感谢收看儿童科学秀。
If you want to keep learning and having fun with Squeaks, me, and all our other friends,
如果你想继续与吱吱、我以及我们所有的朋友一起学习和开心地玩耍,
be sure to hit the subscribe button, and we'll see you next time here at the Fort!
请点击订阅按钮,我们下期在沃斯堡见!