Now this was perhaps from arrogance;
这种作法可能是由于骄傲而起,
and the shadow on the ground kept itself so still and quiet, that it might hear all that passed:
不过这个伏着的影子是非常安静的,因为它想静听他们讲话。
it wished to know how it could get free, and work its way up, so as to become its own master.
它也想知道,一个影子怎样可以获得自由,成为自己的主人。
"Do you know who lived in our opposite neighbor's house?" said the shadow.
“您知道住在那对面房间里的人是谁吗?”影子问。
"It was the most charming of all beings, it was Poesy!
“那是一切生物中最可爱的一个人;那是诗神!
I was there for three weeks, and that has as much effect as if one had lived three thousand years, and read all that was composed and written;
我在那儿住了三个星期。这使人好像在那儿住了三千年、读了世界上所有的诗和文章似的。
that is what I say, and it is right.
我敢说这句话,而且这是真话,
I have seen everything and I know everything!"
我看到了一切,我知道了一切!”
"Poesy!" cried the learned man. "Yes, yes, she often dwells a recluse in large cities! Poesy!
“诗神!”学者大叫一声。“是的,是的!她常常作为一个隐士,住在大城市里面。诗神!
Yes, I have seen her—a single short moment, but sleep came into my eyes!
是的,我亲眼看到过她一刹那,不过我的眼皮那时被睡虫压得沉重;
She stood on the balcony and shone as the Aurora Borealis shines.
她站在阳台上,发出—道很像北极光的光。
Go on, go on—thou wert on the balcony, and went through the doorway, and then—"
请告诉我吧!请告诉我吧!你那时是立在阳台上的。你走进那个门里去,于是——”
"Then I was in the antechamber," said the shadow.
“于是我就走进了前房,”影子说,
"You always sat and looked over to the antechamber.
“那时您坐在对面,老是朝着这个前房里瞧。
There was no light; there was a sort of twilight, but the one door stood open directly opposite the other through a long row of rooms and saloons, and there it was lighted up.
那儿没有点灯,只有一种模糊的光。不过里面却有一整排厅堂和房间,门都是一个接着一个地开着的;房里都点着灯。
I should have been completely killed if I had gone over to the maiden;
要不是我直接走进去,到那个姑娘的身旁,我简直要被这强烈的光照死了。
but I was circumspect,I took time to think, and that one must always do."
不过我是很冷静的,我静静地等着——这正是一个人所应取的态度。”
"And what didst thou then see?" asked the learned man.
“你看到了什么呢?”这位学者问。
"I saw everything, and I shall tell all to you:
“我看到了一切,我将全部告诉您。
but—it is no pride on my part—as a free man, and with the knowledge I have,not to speak of my position in life, my excellent circumstances
不过——这并不是我的自高自大——作为一个自由人,加上我所有的学问,且不说我高尚的地位和优越的条件,
—I certainly wish that you would say you to me!"
——我希望您把我称做‘您’。”