This is every day, grammar. I'm John Russell.
这里是《每日语法》节目。我是约翰·罗素。
If you watch American news shows, you might often see the TV broadcaster say something like this:
如果你看美国的新闻节目,你可能经常会看到电视广播员说这样的话:
A new program is coming up after the break.
新节目将在休息后播出。
Coming up after the break, a shocking interview with a former child star.
接下来是对一位前童星的精彩采访。
In both examples, you heard the TV broadcasters use the phrasal verb "come up".
在这两个例子中,你听到电视播音员都使用了动词短语“即将发生”。
“Come up” combines the verb "come" with the particle "up".
“即将发生”这个词由动词“来”和小品词“上”组成。
Together these words take on an idiomatic meaning.
这两个词组合在一起就有了习惯用语的意义。
In other words, the meaning is different than what you might expect.
换句话说,它的意思可能与你所猜想的不同。
"Come up" means happen soon, or take place.
它的意思是即将发生,很快就会发生。
In the examples I gave you from the news,
在我给你们的新闻例子中,
the broadcasters are trying to get viewers to return to the show after a break or an advertisement.
广播公司正努力让观众在休息或广告后重新收看节目。
Hosts of other kinds of programs, such as radio shows and pod casts, also use this phrasal verb.
其他类型节目的主持人,比如广播节目和播客,也会使用这个动词短语。
And you will hear English speakers use "come up" when talking about schools.
你还会听到英语母语者在谈论学校时使用这个词组。
They often use it in the present progressive, as in "The application deadline is coming up."
他们通常用现在进行时,比如“申请截止日期快到了。”
Or "My final exams are coming up".
或者“我快期末考试了”。
The verb tense gives you an idea about what the speaker is suggesting.
动词时态可以让你明白说话人的意思。
The next time you are watching the news or movies in English, try to find other situations where English speakers use "come up".
下次你看英语新闻或电影的时候,试着找找英语中使用”即将发生”的其他场合。
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。