Welcome to English in a Minute from home.
欢迎来到居家版《一分钟英语》栏目。
Having cold water thrown on you is not fun!
冷水泼在你身上可不是什么好事!
But what does this expression mean in a conversation?
但是这个表达在对话中是什么意思呢?
Throw cold water on something.
给某事泼冷水。
What do you have there, Anna?
你手里拿的是什么,安娜?
Fireworks. I thought I would invite some friends over to stand in the street and watch them go off.
烟花。我想我应该邀请一些朋友一起站在街上看烟花爆炸。
I hate to throw cold water on your idea. But I think fireworks are illegal in DC.
我可不是要给你的想法泼冷水。但我认为烟花在华盛顿是违法的。
But I need to do something fun with people... outside!
但我真的想和大家一起在户外做些有趣的事情!
When you pour cold water on a fire, it goes out.
当你把冷水倒在火焰上的时候,火就会熄灭。
The same can be said for an idea or plan.
同样的道理也适用于一个想法或计划。
To "throw cold water" on someone's plan means to bring up reasons why it may not happen.
给某人的计划泼冷水,表达的意思就是列出某事不可能实现的原因。
And that's English in a Minute.
以上就是本期的《一分钟英语》。