手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

如何做一个正直的人 而不是一个旁观者

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Let me tell you a story, where you'll meet the characters who I'll call Bilal and Brenda.

我想讲一个故事,故事中的主人公是比拉尔和布伦达。
I was working in a most remarkable part of the world.
我在世界上一个最不寻常的地方工作。
And one unremarkable morning, a colleague came to see me.
一个普普通通的早晨,一个同事来看我。
She told me that Bilal, one of our senior executives,
她告诉我,我们的一名高级管理人员,比拉尔,
had been telling everyone I was being removed because I'd been messing with the wrong people.
一直在四处宣扬,我要被解雇了,因为我惹错了人。
And now, I was going to face the consequences.
现在,我要承担相应的后果。
I wasn't alarmed, because I knew I had done what I'd been hired to do:
我丝毫没有感到惊慌,因为我知道,我只是做了我该做的事:
my job, dealing with thorny issues head on and leaving no stone unturned.
我的工作,就是处理棘手的事务,掀开每一块石头,仔细查看,不留死角。
In fact, in the months prior to this, we'd overturned more than just a few stones.
事实上,在此之前的几个月里,我们不仅仅是掀开了几块石头而已。
Those details are for another time.
具体的细节就不详述了。
I called my husband, James, to tell him about this bizarre conversation,
我打电话给我丈夫詹姆斯,告诉了他这次奇怪的谈话,
and with what proved to be great foresight, he said, "Angélique, pack your things and call Brenda, in that order."
他很有远见地说,“安琪莉可,赶快收拾好你的东西,给布伦达打电话。”
I called Brenda. I'd worked with her for a number of years, and I trusted her.
我给布伦达打了电话。我和她共事多年,我很信任她。
She was the person who'd recommended me for that job.
她是推荐我做那份工作的人。
I cut to the chase, because my husband's reaction made me realize this was more than just the usual stuff I'd encountered before.
我开门见山,因为我丈夫的反应让我意识到,这绝不是一次普通的事件。
And I say usual, but in that moment of clarity, it dawned on me what James had already recognized: none of this was usual.
我说普通,但就在那一刻,我明白了,詹姆斯已经意识到了什么:这些都很不寻常。
These irregularities, part of a pattern I'd failed to notice,
我现在才意识到,这些非常规的、我没有注意到的模式的一部分,
were what I now know as open secrets living beneath those proverbial stones I'd had the audacity to overturn.
早已是公开的秘密,它们就隐藏在那些众所周知的,我曾试图大胆掀开的石头下面。
To my shock, I learned that this was happening because I hadn't tried hard enough to operate in the "gray space."
令我震惊的是,我了解到,发生这种情况是因为我没有足够努力尝试在“灰色地带”游走。
I didn't seem to know when to kick things into the long grass.
那时的我似乎并不知道什么时候要把某些东西踢到草丛里去。
And I didn't understand that this was how the system worked.
那时的我也不明白,这个系统就是这样运作的。
The message, the implied threat, was clear.
这条信息,其隐含的威胁,是非常明确的。
Over the next few weeks, I was replaced by a convenient yes-man while I was still there.
在接下来的几周里,当我还在职的时候,就被一个唯唯诺诺的人取代了。

如何做一个正直的人 而不是一个旁观者

I suffered from terrible gastritis, and I pretended to our two young daughters that I still had that job.

除了要忍受严重的胃炎,我还要对两个年幼的女儿假装自己仍然在做那份工作。
Leaving home every morning, dressed up as if for work, to drop them to school, for six months.
六个月来,我每天早上出门时都会穿得像是要去上班,再照常送她们去学校。
I did not submit, but I won't pretend that it was easy to speak up or beneficial in any way to me, to my family or to my career.
我没有屈服,但我不会假装把这些说出来很容易,或者对我、我的家庭或我的事业有任何好处。
When we speak up in the workplace despite policies to the contrary,
当我们在工作场所不顾政策的反对而大胆发声时,
whilst we may not lose our jobs, we are likely to lose the camaraderie of our coworkers.
虽然我们可能不会失去工作,但我们很可能会失去同事之间的友情。
Disbelieved, ostracized, faced with under-the-radar bullying.
不被信任,不被接纳,面对有针对性的欺凌。
You know the kind when you walk into a room and everyone stops talking?
就是当你进入一个房间,大家就都不再说话的那种感觉。
We think: It's not my responsibility to say anything.
我们普遍认为:我并没有义务去说出什么。
So why did I choose to act despite the risks to my family and to me?
那么,为什么我选择不顾自己和家人安慰而执意这样做呢?
The sin of omission is a failure to do what you know is right.
疏忽的罪过,就是没有做你认为正确的事。
When you stay quiet, even though you're not guilty of wrongdoing yourself, what will you have to live with if you don't take action?
当你保持沉默时,即使你自己没有做错事,但如果不采取行动,你将不得不面对什么?
So who are you in this lineup of actors? The bad actor, the wrongdoer?
那么在这个故事中,你扮演着谁的角色?是那个反面角色,做坏事的人?
The bad stander who benefits directly or indirectly and acts as a puppet for the bad actor?
是那个直接或间接受益、充当反面角色傀儡的同谋?
The bystander, aware of the open secrets but not actually doing anything wrong or the upstander?
是旁观者,早已熟知这些公开的秘密,却始终无动于衷,还是做一个挺身而出的勇者?
This is the person we want to see when we look in the mirror.
这就是在照镜子时,我们想看到的人。
I've learned three things: One, don't second guess yourself.
我学到了三件事。第一,不要怀疑自己。
When you see something amiss, ask questions, because it is okay to challenge those in authority.
当你发现事情不对劲的时候,要大胆质疑,因为挑战当权者是可以接受的。
Two, don't be complicit. You always have the power to say no in the face of wrongdoing.
二、不要与人同流合污,面对错误的行为,你总是有权说不。
And three, be an upstander. Speaking up is not about being brave.
第三,必要的时候,挺身而出。大胆发声不代表无所畏惧。
It's not about not feeling scared. But when you do what you know is right, you can be at peace with yourself.
不代表心中不感到害怕。而是当你做你认为对的事情时,你可以平静地面对自己。
Yes, it is hard to say what you feel in the moment. Do it anyway. Be fearless.
是的,你可能很难形容自己此刻的感受。但无论如何,都要行动起来,无所畏惧。
Martin Luther King said, "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
马丁·路德·金曾经说过,“最终,我们记住的将不是敌人说了什么,而是朋友的沉默。”
So when you look in the mirror, who will you see? A bystander, keeper of open secrets?
所以当你照镜子的时候,你会看到谁?一个旁观者?一个公开秘密的守护者?
Or will the person looking back at you be an upstander?
还是一个愿意挺身而出的人?
I know who I see. I know who my daughters see. The choice is yours.
我知道我看到了谁,也知道我的女儿看见了谁。选择权,就在你的手里。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
prior ['praiə]

想一想再看

adj. 优先的,更重要的,在前的
adv.

 
operate ['ɔpəreit]

想一想再看

v. 操作,运转,经营,动手术

 
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
wrongdoer ['rɔŋ'du:ə, 'rɔ:ŋ-]

想一想再看

n. 做坏事的人;违法犯罪者

 
alarmed

想一想再看

adj. 受惊的;焦虑的;惊恐的 v. 报警(alarm

 
reaction [ri'ækʃən]

想一想再看

n. 反应,反作用力,化学反应

联想记忆
threat [θret]

想一想再看

n. 威胁,凶兆
vt. 威胁, 恐吓

 
overturn [.əuvə'tə:n]

想一想再看

v. 推翻,颠覆
n. 倾覆,打翻,革命

联想记忆
contrary ['kɔntrəri]

想一想再看

adj. 相反的,截然不同的
adv. 相反(

联想记忆
pretend [pri'tend]

想一想再看

v. 假装,装作
adj. 假装的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。