"Shake me off, then, sir, -- push me away, for I'll not leave you of my own accord."
“那么,甩掉我吧,先生,一把我推开,因为我可不愿意自己离开你。”
"Jane, I ever like your tone of voice: it still renews hope, it sounds so truthful.
“简,我一直喜欢你说话的声调,它仍然唤起新的希望,它听起来又那么真诚。
When I hear it, it carries me back a year.
我一听到它,便又回到了一年之前。
I forget that you have formed a new tie.
我忘了你结识了新的关系。
But I am not a fool -- go" ----
不过我不是傻瓜——走吧——。”
"Where must I go, sir?"
“我得上哪儿去呢,先生。”
"Your own way -- with the husband you have chosen."
“随你自己便吧——上你看中的丈夫那儿去。”
"Who is that?"
“谁呀?”
"You know -- this St. John Rivers."
“你知道——这个圣·约翰·里弗斯。”
"He is not my husband, nor ever will be.
“他不是我丈夫,也永远不会是,
He does not love me: I do not love him.
他不爱我,我也不爱他。
He loves (as he can love, and that is not as you love) a beautiful young lady called Rosamond.
他爱(他可以爱,跟你的爱不同)一个名叫罗莎蒙德的年轻漂亮小姐。
He wanted to marry me only because he thought I should make a suitable missionary's wife, which she would not have done.
他要娶我只是由于以为我配当一个传教士的妻子,其实我是不行的。
He is good and great, but severe; and, for me, cold as an iceberg.
他不错,也很了不起,但十分冷峻,对我来说同冰山一般冷。
He is not like you, sir: I am not happy at his side, nor near him, nor with him.
他跟你不一样,先生。在他身边,接近他,或者同他在一起,我都不会愉快。
He has no indulgence for me -- no fondness.
他没有迷恋我——没有溺爱我。
He sees nothing attractive in me; not even youth -- only a few useful mental points.
在我身上,他看不到吸引人的地方,连青春都看不到——他所看到的只不过心里上的几个有用之处罢了。
-- Then I must leave you, sir, to go to him?"
那么,先生,我得离开你上他那儿去了?”
I shuddered involuntarily, and clung instinctively closer to my blind but beloved master.
我不由自主地哆嗦了一下,本能地把我亲爱的瞎眼主人搂得更紧了。
He smiled.
他微微一笑。
"What, Jane! Is this true?
“什么,简!这是真的吗?
Is such really the state of matters between you and Rivers?"
这真是你与里弗斯之间的情况吗?”
"Absolutely, sir! Oh, you need not be jealous!
“绝对如此,先生。呵,你不必嫉妒!
I wanted to tease you a little to make you less sad: I thought anger would be better than grief.
我想逗你一下让你少伤心些。我认为愤怒比忧伤要好。