"There is one other thing you owe, Mr. Holder," said Sherlock Holmes rather sternly.
"你另外还欠了笔债,霍尔德先生。"福尔摩斯相当严肃地说。
"Owe!" He caught up a pen. "Name the sum, and I will pay it."
"欠债!"他拿起一支笔,"欠多少,我这就偿还。"
"No, the debt is not to me.
"不,这笔债不是欠我的。
You owe a very humble apology to that noble lad, your son,
你应该对那个高尚的小伙子,你的儿子好好地道歉,
who has carried himself in this matter as I should be proud to see my own son do, should I ever chance to have one."
他把这件事揽在自己身上了,我要是能看到我自己的儿子这样做,我也会感到骄傲的,倘使我有这样一个孩子的话。"
"Then it was not Arthur who took them?"
"那么不是阿瑟拿走的?"
"I told you yesterday, and I repeat today, that it was not."
"我昨天就告诉过你,今天我再重复一遍,不是他。"
"You are sure of it! Then let us hurry to him at once to let him know that the truth is known."
"你肯定是这样!那么让我们马上赶到他那里去,让他知道已经真相大白了。"
"He knows it already. When I had cleared it all up I had an interview with him, and finding that he would not tell me the story,
"他已经知道了。我全部搞清楚后去找他谈过,发现他不愿意将实情告诉我,
I told it to him, on which he had to confess that I was right and to add the very few details which were not yet quite clear to me.
我干脆对他说了,他听后不得不承认我是对的,并且对我还不很清楚的几个细节做了补充。
Your news of this morning, however, may open his lips."
你今天早晨带来的消息,必定能使他开口。"
"For heaven's sake, tell me, then, what is this extraordinary mystery!"
"我的老天爷呀!那么,快告诉我这非常离奇的谜到底是怎么回事吧!"