There are many values and ideas that are worth standing up for.
有许多值得坚持的价值观和理念。
For my perspective, I've always stood for respect to other fellow human beings and gender equality.
从我的角度来说,我一直主张尊重他人和性别平等。
To achieve greater fairness in schools, in universities, in the workplace, and at home,
为了在学校、大学、工作场所和家中实现更大的公平,
we need to remove the barriers that continue to hold back women -- and that is especially true in the technology sector.
我们需要消除仍旧阻碍女性发展的障碍,在科技领域尤其如此。
Your generation is already benefiting from major shifts in gender norms and expectations,
你们这一代人已经从性别规范和性别期望的重大转变中受益,
and that is partly due to places like IIT.
部分原因是由于像伊利诺伊理工大学这样的地方。
This university has a strong record of encouraging women and minorities, especially in sciences and technology programs.
这所大学在鼓励妇女和少数民族方面有很多记录,特别是在科技领域中。
But the tech industry, a bit like finance, I have to say, has been lagging behind.
但是科技行业,有点像金融行业,我不得不说,其本身一直在落后。
In Silicon Valley, for instance, some of the hottest startups have yet to understand that
例如,在硅谷,一些最炙手可热的初创企业尚未了解到
holding back women is bad for innovation, is bad for business.
阻碍女性不利于创新,不利于企业。
Time will operate changes. Yeah.
时间会带来改变的。是的。
By the end of this decade, your generation -- the millennials -- you will make up half of the U.S. labor force.
到这个十年末,你们这一代,也就是千禧一代,将占据美国劳动力的一半。
And as a result, your values -- on everything from gender, to ethics, to management style, to work-life balance -- may become the workplace standard.
结果就是,你们的价值观,从性别、道德、管理风格到工作与生活的平衡,可能会成为工作场所的标准。
But don't rely too much on demographics.
但不要过分依赖人口统计信息。
Increase your chances by standing up for greater respect and fairness now!
现在就站出来争取更多的尊重和公平,来增加你的机会吧!