You see, I don't normally give speeches, especially ones which require offering advice and inspiration.
你们知道,我通常不做演讲,尤其是那些要给建议、鼓舞人心的演讲。
I'm more "you mother" than I am Mother Theresa.
与其说我像特蕾莎修女,不如说我更像“你们的母亲”。
Just the thought of standing up here gave me such agita that I originally said no.
一想到要站在这里,我的胃里就一阵翻滚,所以一开始我没有答应。
But the person asking me was my dear friend and illustrious BU grad Andy Lack, the new chairman of NBC news and MSNBC.
但是让我来的人是我的好友、波士顿大学杰出毕业生安迪·莱克,现在是美国全国广播公司新闻部和微软全国广播公司的新任总裁。
So in the end, I couldn't resist.
所以到最后,我不能拒绝了。
And, by the way, I fully intend to remind him of this in a few months when my contract comes up for renewal
顺便说一下,我一定得提醒他,再过几个月我的合同就要到期了,需要续约,
because at 61, I need the job security.
因为在61岁这个年纪,我很需要工作保障。
So here I stand, a nervous wreck, worried I'll say the wrong thing
所以我站在这里,紧张得要命,担心会说错什么话,
and you're gonna end up years from now drowning your sorrows at Tavern in the Square. Yeah.
是啊,几年后,你们在广场酒馆里会借酒浇愁。
Wondering, "Where we go wrong? Oh yeah, it all started with that damn commencement speech."
心里会寻思着,“我们是哪里走错了呢?哦,对了,一切都开始于那场该死的毕业演讲。”
Or perhaps even more humiliating, you won't remember the speech at all, much less who gave it.
也许比这更没面子,你们根本不会记得这场演讲,更别说是谁讲的了。
But that's the future; this is now. And if I'm nervous, maybe you are, too.
但那都是以后的事情,我们要说的是现在。如果说我很紧张的话,你们大概也一样。
Maybe you're anxious about what comes next,
也许你们对接下来将要发生的事感到焦虑;
feeling the pressure to have all the answers, to get it right, right out of the box.
也许你们感到有压力,因为要揭开所有的答案,要确保它们完全正确。