As she spoke a light sprang into view at the further end of the passage,
就在她说话的时候,过道的尽头处闪现着灯光,
and I saw the lean figure of Colonel Lysander Stark rushing forward
我看到莱桑德·斯塔克上校急步奔来的瘦削的身影,
with a lantern in one hand and a weapon like a butcher's cleaver in the other.
他一只手提着提灯,另一只手拿着一把象屠夫的切肉刀那样的凶器。
I rushed across the bedroom, flung open the window, and looked out.
我拼命跑过卧室,猛地推开窗户向外望去。
How quiet and sweet and wholesome the garden looked in the moonlight, and it could not be more than thirty feet down.
月光下的花园看上去是多么恬静,多么芳香,多么生气盎然,它就在下面最多不过三十英尺的地方。
I clambered out upon the sill,
我爬到窗台上,
but I hesitated to jump until I should have heard what passed between my saviour and the ruffian who pursued me.
但是在我知道我的救命恩人和追赶我的恶棍之间会发生什么事情之前,我踌躇着,没有就跳下去。
If she were ill-used, then at any risks I was determined to go back to her assistance.
因为如果她被迫负,我决心不管冒什么危险都要回去援助她。
The thought had hardly flashed through my mind before he was at the door, pushing his way past her;
这个念头刚在我的脑海里闪现,只见他已到了门口,想推开她闯过来,
but she threw her arms round him and tried to hold him back.
但是她伸开两臂抱住了他,使劲把他往后推。
'Fritz! Fritz!' she cried in English, 'remember your promise after the last time.
'弗里茨!弗里茨!'她用英国话喊着,'记住你上次事后答应我的诺言。
You said it should not be again. He will be silent! Oh, he will be silent!'
你说过这种事情再也不会发生了。他不会说出去的!哎呀,他不会说出去的!'
'You are mad, Elise!' he shouted, struggling to break away from her.
'你疯啦,伊利斯!'他咆哮着,竭力从她的双臂中挣脱出来。
'You will be the ruin of us. He has seen too much. Let me pass, I say!'
'你会毁了我们的。他看到的太多了,我说,让我过去!'
He dashed her to one side, and, rushing to the window, cut at me with his heavy weapon.
他把她摔倒在一边,奔到窗口,用他那沉重的凶器向我砍来。
I had let myself go, and was hanging by the hands to the sill, when his blow fell.
这时我身子已经离开窗口,当他砍下来时,我的两手还抓着窗台。
I was conscious of a dull pain, my grip loosened, and I fell into the garden below.
我感觉到一阵隐痛,松开了手,我掉到下面的花园里。