'Then we can hardly get there before midnight.
'这么说午夜前我们是赶不到那儿了。
I suppose there would be no chance of a train back. I should be compelled to stop the night.'
我估计赶不上回程的火车,那么我就不得不在那儿过夜了。'
'Yes, we could easily give you a shake-down.'
'对,我们会给您安排过夜的地方的。'
'That is very awkward. Could I not come at some more convenient hour?'
'那很不方便,我不能在更方便的时候去吗?'
'We have judged it best that you should come late.
'我们认为,您最好晚上来。
It is to recompense you for any inconvenience that we are paying to you, a young and unknown man,
正是为了补偿您的不便之处,我们才对您这个默默无闻的年轻人出那么大的价钱。
a fee which would buy an opinion from the very heads of your profession.
这个价钱用来请教您这一行中最高明的人士也是足够了。
Still, of course, if you would like to draw out of the business, there is plenty of time to do so.'
当然,如果您想推掉这笔业务,现在还来得及。'
I thought of the fifty guineas, and of how very useful they would be to me.
我想到了五十个畿尼,以及这笔钱对我将是多么有用。
'Not at all,' said I, 'I shall be very happy to accommodate myself to your wishes.
'我不是这个意思,'我说,'我将十分愉快地满足您的愿望。
I should like, however, to understand a little more clearly what it is that you wish me to do.'
我倒是想更清楚地了解一下,您要我做的是什么工作。'
'Quite so. It is very natural that the pledge of secrecy which we have exacted from you should have aroused your curiosity.
'是啊,我们要您一定保证严守秘密,这会很自然地引起注您的好奇心。
I have no wish to commit you to anything without your having it all laid before you.
我们并不打算委托您办一件事情而又不让您知道它的底细。
I suppose that we are absolutely safe from eavesdroppers?' 'Entirely.'
我想,绝对不会有人偷听吧?''绝对不会。'