As a believer in the concept of Inception,
作为一个相信“奠基”这一概念的人,
as a believer in the idea that you can plant the seed of,
作为一个相信能种下一个种子,
a seed of an idea that will grow into something more substantial over time,
一个随着时间的推移会成长为更实质性的东西的想法的种子的人,
I do feel some responsibility to try and say something to you that you would carry forward and might help you in some way.
我确实觉得有责任对你们说些什么,一些会伴你们同行并可能在某种程度上帮助你们的话。
So I thought back to the world of my graduation,
于是我回想起我毕业时的世界,
when Emma and I were was sitting there 20 odd years ago.
也就时二十多年前我和艾玛坐在那儿的时候。
And I thought about what were the problems of the world, what were the terrible things we faced.
我在思考这个世界的问题是什么,我们面临着什么可怕的事情。
Racism, income inequality, warfare... I could go on but you know this list.
种族主义、收入不平等、战争...我可以继续说下去,但你们也清楚。
And the reason you know it is, it's exactly the same today.
而你们知道的原因,是因为在今天也是如出一辙的。
And what that made me think is, well, what are we been doing for the last twenty years.
这让我去思考,在过去的二十年里我们一直在做什么。
Because if I'm gonna give you any advice,
因为如果我要给你们任何建议的话,
I have to sort of take a bit of a hard look about my generation, about what we have done.
我必须认真审视一下我们这一代人,我们所做的一切。
And the truth is I think we've... we failed to address a lot of the fundamentals.
事实上,我认为我们已经...我们没有解决很多基本的问题。
Possibly for a good reason, and that that reason is I think we went out into the world,
可能有一个很好的理由,这个理由就是我认为当我们走进这个世界,
believing that if we could connect the world,
相信如果我们能与世界产生联系,
if we could allow the free exchange of ideas across geographical boundaries, economic boundaries,
如果我们能够允许思想的自由交流冲破地理边界、经济边界,
if we could all talk, these problems would go away.
如果我们都能交流一下,这些问题就会消失。
And unfortunately, I think by now we have to acknowledge that we were wrong,
不幸的是,我认为现在我们必须承认我们错了,
well, that's not the case, the communication is not everything.
情况不是这样的,沟通不是一切。