Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目
If you're broke, you have little or no money.
如果你破产了 说明你几乎没有钱或者身无分文
Am I going to help Jonathan or Anna pay a bill?
我是要帮乔纳森或安娜付账单吗?
Well, Jonathan, I'm doing it! I'm joining the circus!
乔纳森 我决定了 我要加入马戏团
Excuse me? That's right. But not just any circus. The Cirque du Soleil!
什么?你没听错 不过不是普通的马戏团 而是太阳马戏团
You got into Cirque? Well, not yet.
你加入了太阳马戏团?现在还没有
But I already told my boss that I'm quitting!
不过我已经跟老板说要辞职了
And I found someone to move into my apartment. Montreal, here I come!
我还找到了个室友 蒙特利尔 我来了!
Wow. You are really going for broke!
哇哦 你可真是孤注一掷啊
When you "go for broke," you take a big risk in hopes of having a big success.
如果你“go for broke” 说明你冒了很大的风险 希望能一举成功
This phrase comes from gambling, when a player bets all their money at once.
这个短语源自赌博 指赌徒一下押上他的全部财产
If they win, they win big! But if they lose, they really do go broke.
如果赢了 就能赢一大笔 但如果输了 就真的破产了
And that’s English in a Minute.
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目