Every waterway in the United States is supposed to be safe enough to swim in every single day; but, of course, they're not.
按理说,美国的每条河道都应该干净到人可以每天在里面游泳的程度;但实际上它们当然是没有这么干净的。
I am getting into these contaminated waterways.
我到这些被污染的河道里游泳。
Someone's gotta risk something.
因为总得有人冒点险吧。
If people see that image, they start to ask themselves, why is that guy in there?
大家看到我就会想,那哥们儿为什么要跑到那么脏的河里游泳啊?
That starts a discussion that can lead to a clean up.
继而就能引发大家的讨论,促使大家来清理我们的河道。
My name's Christopher Swain, and I've swum over 3,000 miles in over 25 different contaminated waterways in North America.
我是克里斯托弗·斯温,我已经在北美25条被污染过的河道中游过了3000多英里。
I wanna advocate for these waterways, and I can energize clean-ups.
我想为这些河道发声,激励大家发起清理工作。
I learned to swim as a kid.
我小时候就学会游泳了。
I was the kid who didn't wanna get out of the water.
我就是那个下水了就不想再起来的孩子。
As I got older, and I think this is true for many of us,
随着年龄的增长,我开始意识到我们的水已经被各种各样的物质污染了,
I started to become aware that waters are contaminated with everything from arsenic to zinc,
从砷到锌的各种化学物质,从人类产生的垃圾到核废料的各种垃圾,
everything from human waste to nuclear waste.
大家应该也有这样的感受吧。
We saw our waterways as dumpsters. We saw them as sewers;
我们视河道为垃圾箱,为下水道;
legally speaking, since 1972 when the Federal Clean Water Act passed,
从法律的角度来讲,按照1972年通过的《联邦清洁水法》的规定,
all navigable U.S. waterways have to be safe for swimming and fishing and drinking; if they're a fresh water creek.
美国所有可通航水域,如果是淡水水源的话,都应该安全到可以游泳、钓鱼和饮用。
Dozens and dozens of those waterways were in and around New York City.
纽约市及其周边就有几十条这样的河道。
Newtown Creek is the worst of those.
纽敦河是污染最为严重的一条。
It is contaminated with lots of things:
这里的水含有各种各样的污染物:
heavy metals, toxic chemicals, raw sewage, and one of the largest ongoing oil spills in the history of the United States.
重金属、有毒化学物质、未经处理的污水,这里还曾发生过美国历史上规模最大的石油泄漏事件之一。
So, in some way, we stole this waterway from ourselves.
所以,在某种程度来上,是我们自己亲手毁掉了这条河。
What I'm saying is let's turn that around.
我想说的是,我们要扭转局面。
When I decide to take on a waterway…this is my puncture-resistant dry suit.
我决定到某条河游泳之后……这是我的防刺防水泳衣。
I take all these measures on all my swims to protect my body and to protect my health.
为了保护我的身体,保护我的健康,每次游泳我都是全副武装才下水的。
I wear a cap; I wear goggles; I wear ear plugs; I never put my head under, even so, I've gotten sick lots of times.
泳帽、眼镜、耳塞全都得戴上,而且我从来不把头浸到水下,尽管如此,我还是经常会生病。
Rashes, skin infections, ear infections, respiratory infections.
皮疹,皮肤感染,耳朵感染,呼吸道感染等等。
It's a hazard that goes with the territory.
那块儿地就有着这样的危险。
The reason nobody has swum the length of Newtown Creek in history is that at least in the last 100 years, it's been far too disgusting.
一直没有人游过纽敦河全程,至少在过去100年里没有人游完过,是因为这条河实在是太恶心了。
No one in their right mind would go in there.
脑子正常的人是不会到那条河里去的。
It's like swimming through a dirty diaper that's been garnished with oil, gasoline, and trash.
那感觉就像是在糊满了油、汽油和垃圾的脏尿布上游泳一样。
Every part of your skin wants to crawl.
你皮肤的每个毛孔都在战栗。
So why do I push on and do it?
那我为什么还坚持游呢?
I'm doing this out of love, like I really do love the water, and I don't have a lot to work with.
是因为爱,就像我真的很喜欢水一样。而且我也没什么帮手。
I'm not a wealthy person; I'm not a scientist.
因为我既不富有,也不是什么科学家。
What I've got is my body and my life to offer.
我能给予的只有我的身体和我的生命。
I'm gonna keep going back in my dry suit and my hazmat gear until these waterways are clean;
今后,我还会继续穿着我的防水泳衣,戴上我的防毒装备到这些河道里游泳,直到它们被清理干净为止;
and when they're clean, I'm gonna get into these clean waterways in my bathing suit and enjoy them with my fellow citizens.
到那时,我还会到已经变干净的河道里裸泳,和其他市民分享在里面游泳的乐趣。