Welcome to English in a Minute!
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目
Sometimes it's hard to communicate clearly and directly.
有时候人们很难清晰直接地沟通
Hmm... Let's hope Anna and Jonathan are extra clear about what this means.
嗯 希望安娜和乔纳森非常清楚这个短语的意思吧
I have news. Okay. What's it? You can't tell anyone else.
我有个消息 好吧 是什么?你不能告诉任何人
Okay. And you have to still be my friend! Of course...
好 你还得继续当我朋友!当然了
Anna, stop beating around the bush. And tell me what it is.
安娜 别绕来绕去了 快告诉我是什么吧
Okay. I got a job offer.
好吧 我得到了一份工作邀请
If you "beat around the bush," you do whatever you can to avoid saying something.
如果你"beat around the bush" 说明你在尽力避免说出某事
In Medieval times, hunting groups used sticks to beat around bushes.
中世纪时期 狩猎队伍会用棍子在灌木丛周围敲打
But they wouldn't directly hit the bushes because they didn't know what else might be in there.
但他们不会直接去敲灌木丛 因为他们不知道里面还会有什么
And that’s English in a Minute.
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目