What those characters are speaking isn't gibberish,
这些角色说的话并不是胡言乱语,
it's actually a language called Dothraki
他们说的实际上是一种叫“多斯拉克语”的语言。
and it was invented by this guy David Peterson in lovely Orange County, California.
而这种语言是由加州橘郡——一个非常可爱的地方——的大卫·彼得森发明的。
David Peterson is what we call a con-langer and inventor of languages.
大卫·彼得森就是我们所说的“con-langer”,即语言发明家。
Con-langing is the intentional creation of a full language,
发明语言就是有意地创造一门完整的语言,
creating its full grammar, its full phonology, its writing system if it has one and its entire lexicon.
包括为它创造完整的语法,完整的音系,如果有书写体系的话,还要创造它的书写体系和一整套词汇的过程。
David has written many languages, but the first one he wrote was back in 2000.
大卫已经创造了很多种语言,而他第一次创造语言是2000年的时候。
I was taking an intro linguistics class at UC Berkeley in 2000
那时候我正在加州大学伯克利分校上语言学导论课,
and it was just one day during class I started scribbling on my note and it's my very first language.
有一天课上,我在笔记本上涂鸦,结果就涂鸦出了我的第一种语言。
He named it after his girlfriend...named David...
他还起了个和他女朋友一样的名字……叫“大卫”……
And according to David himself...it's irredeemably awful, it's just not...it's not worth it, even considering anymore.
据大卫自己说…简直糟糕到无以加复的地步,根本就不…不值得,看都不值得看一眼。
Everything I was doing with this language was just a kind of really fancy, bizarre way to speak English.
我创造这门语言只是为了创造一种非常奇特的说英语的方式。
So I kind of just started over and said, alright, ground zero, how do I be a language creator?
也就是说我基本上是完全从头来过,我对自己说,好吧,从零开始,我要怎么创造语言呢?
Before we move forward, let's take a quick step back and talk about the Godfather of modern conlangers J.R.R Tolkien.
在我们继续这个问题之前,让我们先快速回顾一下现代语言发明的教父J.R.R.托尔金。
You probably know this name, because he's the author of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.
你可能听过这个名字,因为他就是《霍比特人》和《指环王》的作者。
He created fourteen different languages for use within middle-earth.
他为中土就创造了14种不同的语言。
Quenya and Sindarin are probably his most famous.
而昆雅语和辛达语应该算是那些语言中名气最大的两种。
He was the very first person that we know of to create languages just for fun, and we've been kind of emulating him ever since.
托尔金是我们所知道的第一个仅仅为了好玩而创造语言的人,而且从那以后,我们一直都是在模仿他。
Now that we've cleared that up, we can move forward.
现在这个问题已经解决了,我们可以继续回到刚才的问题了。
We're here in California because we're curious about what it takes to create a successful language.
本期节目我们来到了加州,因为我们很好奇创造一门成功的语言到底需要哪些因素。
David's having two of his friends who are also conlangers come over and speak with us, one of them brought ice cream.
大卫有两个朋友也是语言发明家,我们联系上了他们,他们会过来大卫家作客,其中一人还带了冰淇淋过来。
We were gonna do this outside, but it's too hot, so we're gonna do it inside.
我们本来准备在室外录这期节目,但外面实在太热了,所以我们还是决定在室内做。
The three of them are talking about how languages are created, and they've come up with five steps.
他们三个人在讨论语言是如何产生的,最后,他们总结出了五个步骤。
Take it away, guys.
小伙伴儿们,赶紧偷师啊。
Oh, so, all right.
啊,哦,好吧。
A naturalistic conlanging means five basic things.
一般,创造语言都意味着五个基本的要素。
One, the people. What they do? who their neighbors are?
一,使用这种语言的人。他们是做什么的?他们的周边都有谁?
The second thing that you're going to need is a phonology or sound system.
第二个要素是音系或这种语言的声音系统。
Do you have voiced and voiceless consonants? do you have aspirated consonants?
有没有浊辅音和清辅音?有没有送气辅音?
Three, words. All the nouns, all the verbs, all the modifiers.
第三个要素:单词。所有的名词,动词、修饰词等等。
Fourth, grammar, which is the fun part.
第四个要素:语法,这也是比较有意思的一个部分。
Finally, history. You know, how the meanings of words changed over time
最后是历史。也就是单词的意思是如何随着时间演变的,
and you need to know how the grammar of your language evolved from a time in the distant past to what's used now.
你需要知道,你创造的这门语言的语法是如何从遥远的过去发展到现在的。
Now that we've got that settled, let's finish this.
问题解决完毕,准备收尾。
In the past 15 years, somebody who created language went from somebody who was like, "oh, you're a nerd"
在过去的15年里,创造语言的人从被人说"啊,你真是个书呆子"
to you know, "oh, wow, that's, that's really nerdy", which now means cool.
变成了被人说,“啊,哇,还真是个怪咖啊”,就是说你很酷。
Its prolific use in television and film proves that it's not just a passing fancy.
新创造的那些语言被电视和电影作品大量使用,证明它们并非一时之念。
For television, the difference between a created language and some other set prop is that
对于电视来说,一种创造出来的语言和其他道具的区别在于
the maximum level of interaction that if you were ever has with a background set or with a prop is just seeing it on-screen.
语言具有最大程度的互动,语言是有其背景的,道具则只是在荧幕上走个过场而已。
A language on the other hand when you hear it, that's the, that's the most real a language ever gets.
而当你听到一种语言,那是,那是最真实的语言。
For that reason, you have to have a fully created language for a television show, and not just a bunch of gibberish.
因此,我们必须为电视节目创造一种完整的语言,而不是一堆胡言乱语。
Is that good? Sounds great. Thank God.
还行吗?挺好的。谢天谢地。