I was raised in Torrance, California.
我是在加利福尼亚的托伦斯长大的。
I was born to an immigrant mother.
我的母亲是移民。
My father passed away when I was very young,
我父亲在我很小的时候就去世了,
so for the most part, I was raised by a single mother who worked very hard to kind of provide for me.
所以很大程度上讲,我是单亲妈妈抚养大的,为了养我她工作非常努力。
So I took piano for about 10 years, and my upbringing introduced me to music.
我学了10年钢琴,我的成长经历带我走进了音乐的大门。
Though, I don't think my mom intended for me to become a musician.
不过,我并不认为我妈妈对我的期望是成为一名音乐家。
I remember discovering west coast hip-hop,
记得我刚接触西海岸嘻哈那会儿,
everything about it was something that appealed to me a lot, and I flourished in that.
我对它是那么的着迷,而且我在这方面也是小有成就的。
I would start producing once I entered college.
我一进入大学就开始搞制作了。
Even though I loved hip-hop, I had no access to rappers when I was starting out,
虽然我很喜欢嘻哈,但刚开始的时候,我并没有接触说唱歌手的机会,
so the music started to become hip-hop beats but with electronic sounds in it.
所以我的音乐就成了嘻哈的节拍加上电子声音这种形式。
No one had heard this style of music that was so much hip-hop but was so forward thinking and electronic.
从来没有人听过这种风格的音乐,一方面特别的嘻哈,另一方面又特别的前卫,特别的电子风。
I started participating in other events with other producers.
从那时起就开始和其他制作人一起参加其他活动了。
And I became apart of a scene.
还挺轰动的。
That itself could almost just be like a rap beat.
这一段本来也可以当说唱节拍的。
The drums themselves are just so simple without anything else, that's why I find it.
没有其他声音的情况下,鼓本身的声音是非常简单的,这也是我为什么会选用这种声音的原因。
Percussion is very important.
打击乐也非常重要。
I think it creates movement.
它能创造一种运动属性。
Even the pianos, the main thing is that there's movement.
即使是钢琴,最主要的特性也还是运动。
That bass sound is very simple. All it is is one note.
低音很简单。它就是一个音符。
Rhythm guitar.
节奏吉他。
The guitar lead.
主音吉他。
They are not coming from a real guitar.
它们并不是真正的吉他弹出来的。
I was going for a non-realistic guitar sound.
我想要的是不那么真实的吉他声。
I made this song like right after my surgery.
这首曲子是我刚做完手术那会儿创作的。
It was one of the first songs that I worked on.
也是我最早创作的歌曲之一。
Around 10 years ago, I started getting migraines.
我开始偏头痛是差不多10年前的时候。
One doctor suggested that I potentially could have a disease called Moyamoya,
一位医生说我可能患有烟雾病,
the arteries in the left and right side that supply blood to your brain start to shrink,
左右两侧为大脑供血的动脉会开始萎缩,
and then, so what ends up happening is stroke, aneurism, you will die.
之后就会发展为中风,动脉瘤,最后就是死亡。
Fast foward about 10 years later,
差不过10年之后,
I had a strange incident where I couldn't feel my left foot.
发生了一件奇怪的事,我的左脚失去了知觉。
In the back of my head, I've always had that Moyamoya thing there.
烟雾病的病理一直纠缠着我的后脑。
By January of 2015, I had two brain surgeries a week apart from each other.
到2015年1月的时候,我已经每周都要做两次脑部手术了。
Right after the surgery, I was tired and in pain, but I was OK.
手术一结束,我就会感到很累很疼,但还好。
It was the recovery process that was difficult.
煎熬的是恢复的过程。
I would get stroke symptoms where I couldn't feel the entire left side of my body
会出现中风的症状,左半边身体整个都感觉不到了。
and, just out of nowhere, I completely lost my ability to talk and to understand speech.
后来突然之间我就完全丧失了说话和理解语言的能力。
And I could no longer communicate with anyone,
再也无法和任何人交流,
and one thing that I noticed about this entire process was I couldn't understand music anymore.
在这整个过程中,我注意到的一点就是我再也不懂音乐了。
It's nothing but noise. Like an airplane flying in the sky.
除了噪音什么都没有。就像飞机在天上飞一样。
I couldn't understand music, so there was no music anymore.
不懂音乐,也就没有音乐可言了。
That was very difficult for me.
这对我来说是很要命的。