"Perhaps I have, but I'm scared just the same," said the Lion.
“可能有吧,可我还是很害怕,”狮子说。
"I shall really be very unhappy unless you give me the sort of courage that makes one forget he is afraid."
“除非你让我忘记自己是个胆小鬼,否则,我仍旧是十分不快乐的。”
"Very well, I will give you that sort of courage tomorrow," replied Oz.
奥芝回答说:“很好,明天我可以给你那种胆量。”
"How about my heart?" asked the Tin Woodman.
“关于我的心怎么样?”铁皮人问。
"Why, as for that," answered Oz, "I think you are wrong to want a heart.
“啊,天哪,”奥芝回答道,“你想要一颗心的想法是错误的。
It makes most people unhappy. If you only knew it, you are in luck not to have a heart."
那东西给很多人带来麻烦。只要你明白这一点,那么,没有一颗心正是你的幸福。”
"That must be a matter of opinion," said the Tin Woodman.
“我们的想法不同,”铁皮人说。
"For my part, I will bear all the unhappiness without a murmur, if you will give me the heart."
“在我看来,如果你给我一颗心,我宁愿忍受着世间的烦恼,我毫无怨言。”
"Very well," answered Oz meekly.
“那样的话,”奥芝温和而谦逊地说到。
"Come to me tomorrow and you shall have a heart.
“明天到我这里来,我给你一颗心。
I have played Wizard for so many years that I may as well continue the part a little longer."
我多年来一直玩着魔术,那我可以同样地再来表演一次。”
"And now," said Dorothy, "how am I to get back to Kansas?"
“那么,”多萝茜说,“你怎么把我送回堪萨斯州去?”
"We shall have to think about that," replied the little man.
“恐怕我们要商量一下,”矮小的老头儿回答说。
"Give me two or three days to consider the matter and I'll try to find a way to carry you over the desert.
“你给我两天或者更长的时间,来仔细地考虑这件事情,我会想出一个办法来,带着你离开这里。
In the meantime you shall all be treated as my guests, and while you live in the Palace my people will wait upon you and obey your slightest wish.
在这期间,你们将像我的宾客一样受到很好招待,当你们尽管住在我的宫殿里,我的人民将要侍候你们,并且听从你们的最微细的差使。
There is only one thing I ask in return for my help--such As It Is.
只有一件事情,我要请求你们答应我,作为对我工作的酬谢——就是这样。
You must keep my secret and tell no one I am a humbug."
你们必须信守我的秘密,不能让任何人知道,我是一个骗子。”
They agreed to say nothing of what they had learned, and went back to their rooms in high spirits.
他们都赞成,对这一切都保密,高高兴兴地回到他们的房间去。
Even Dorothy had hope that "The Great and Terrible Humbug," as she called him, would find a way to send her back to Kansas,
即使多萝茜也在期盼那被她辱骂过的“伟大的可怕的骗子”的奥芝,想出一个办法来,送她回到堪萨斯州去,
and if he did she was willing to forgive him everything.
假如他能办到,无论什么事她都宽恕了他。