手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 科学秀 > 正文

如何判断食物中毒

来源:可可英语 编辑:Ceciliya   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Most of us have experienced food poisoning... You know it's like the vomiting and the diarrhea.

多数人都有食物中毒的经历... 会出现呕吐和腹泻症状。
The gastrointestinal torment that can leave you huddled miserably on the bathroom floor.
肠胃的折磨会让你在厕所里痛苦地缩成一团。
But food poisoning, or foodborne illness, isn't just one thing.
但是食物中毒,或者食物传染疾病,并不能混谈。
In fact, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control names 31 unique species of bacteria, viruses,
事实上,美国疾病管制与预防中心将31种细菌、病毒
and parasites as common culprits, but there are hundreds in total.
以及寄生虫列举为食物中毒常见的罪魁祸首,但总共有上百种。
And different microbes tend to contaminate different foods, cause slightly different symptoms,
不同细菌会污染不同的食物,其症状稍有不同
and have different incubation periods: the time between when you get infected and when you start feeling bad.
潜伏期也不同:感染和开始发病之间的时期。
So figuring out if you have food poisoning and where you got it can be trickier than you might think.
所以要判断自己是不是食物中毒了以及是什么食物引起的会比你以为的还要困难。
The number one cause of food poisoning in the U.S. is norovirus, which causes around half the cases, according to the CDC.
在美国引起食物中毒的头号罪犯是诺瓦克病毒,根据CDC,半数食物中毒都是有它引起的。
Viruses are minimalist microbes. They're basically some genetic material with a protein coat.
病毒是极简主义的细菌。它们主要是披着蛋白质衣壳的遗传物质。
So they can't reproduce or do much on their own at all, they need a host cell.
因此它们无法繁殖,凭自己也完全掀不起什么大浪来,它们需要宿主细胞。
And when you eat a norovirus-contaminated salad, it finds plenty of hosts in your gut.
当你吃下一份被诺瓦克病毒污染的萨拉时,它就会在你的肠道里找到充足的宿主。
When the virus finds an intestinal cell, it tricks membrane receptors to get inside,
当病毒找到一个肠细胞时,它就会哄骗膜受体,从而得以进入,
and then hijacks the cell's machinery to make copies of itself.
然后劫持细胞体制进行复制。
Eventually, those virus minions burst from the infected cell to find more victims.
最终,那些病毒的下属从感染细胞中迸发而出,去寻找更多的受害者。
And at the same time, your dead and damaged cells release chemicals that trigger an inflammatory response in your body.
与此同时,死亡和受伤的细胞会释放化学物质,触发体内的炎症反应。
Nearby blood vessels dilate and leak plasma into the infected tissues, which kicks off the fight against the invaders.
附近的血管扩张并向感染组织泄露血浆,准备和入侵者对抗。
And more chemical signals are released to attract specialized immune cells.
有越来越多的化学信号被释放出来以吸引特化免疫细胞。
This inflammatory response in your gut contributes to some of the classic symptoms of food poisoning:
肠道中的炎症反应带来一些食物中毒的典型症状:
diarrhea, vomiting, and sometimes a low fever.
腹泻、呕吐,有时是低烧。
So just know that when you're puking your guts out, at least that's your own immune system kicking some microbe butt.
所以你只要知道当你连肠子都要吐出来的时候,至少你的免疫系统正在将一些细菌踢出去。
It's been difficult to study norovirus because, until recently,
研究诺瓦克病毒一直是个难题,因为,直到最近,
researchers haven't been able to grow intestinal cell lines in the lab that it can infect and survive in.
研究人员还未能在实验室中培育出能够感染和生存的肠道细胞系来。
Before that, heroes among us have volunteered to be infected with norovirus so scientists could better understand it.
在此之前,我们中有一些英雄自愿感染诺瓦克病毒好让科学家们更好进行研究。
Now, they're even testing a norovirus vaccine in humans!
而现在他们甚至用人体测试诺瓦克病毒疫苗!
But even though norovirus is the leading cause of food poisoning in the U.S., most cases of norovirus aren't from food.
虽然在美国,诺瓦克病毒食物中毒的主因,但是多数诺瓦克病毒食物中毒并非来自食物。
It's highly contagious, so infected people or contaminated surfaces can spread it too.
诺瓦克病毒具有高传染性,因此感染患者或是被污染的表面也可以传播该病毒。
And it's commonly called a stomach bug or stomach flu, even though norovirus isn't related to the influenza virus.
它通常被称为胃虫或肠胃感冒,虽然诺瓦克病毒和流感病毒并无关联。
So how do you know if you should blame your Uncle Carl's fruit salad for your upset stomach?
因此,该怎么判断是不是被污染的水果沙拉让你胃疼呢?

如何判断食物中毒.jpg

Well, that takes some detective work.

好吧,那就做一些侦查工作。
The simplest way is to try finding the source: did any other people who ate the fruit get sick around the same time you did?
最简单的方法是找到源头:吃过这个水果的其他人有没有生病呢?
Or did you start puking after hanging out with your buddy's preschooler, who was a little under the weather?
或者你是在和朋友的孩子出去之后才开始呕吐,而且这个孩子刚好生病了?
That's basically how state health agencies and the CDC approach food poisoning outbreaks too, just on a bigger scale.
国家健康所和CDC也主要是用这种方法应对食物中毒爆发的,只是规模更大而已。
They have to try trace the source, so they can stop the spread of a microbe.
他们需要找到病源,这样才能阻止细菌的传播。
These agencies monitor reports of illness from hospitals to look for weird spikes or clusters of foodborne illness.
这些机构监控来自医院的病例报道以寻找食物传染疾病中怪异的棘波或刺串。
They'll do DNA and RNA tests and perform other analyses on poop samples from patients to determine what microbe they're dealing with,
他们会做DNA和RNA测试并对病人的排便样本进行其他分析以确定他们要处理的是何种细菌,
from norovirus, to bacterial baddies you may recognize like Listeria, E. coli, and Salmonella.
比如诺瓦克病毒或李斯特菌属、大肠杆菌以及沙门氏菌。
Then, they'll interview patients to generate and test hypotheses about where it came from.
然后他们会询问病人以生成并测试病毒源头的假设。
Like, if most of those patients ate the same brand of alfalfa sprouts, they'd go swab that produce packaging facility to look for the microbe.
比如,如果多数病人都吃了同一品牌的苜蓿芽面包,那么他们会在包装设备中进行擦拭检测细菌。
When they do find the source, they try to stop its spread.
发现源头后,他们会尝试阻止该细菌的传播。
The state health agency may shut down a restaurant, or the Food and Drug Administration may recall a product.
国家健康所或许会关闭这家餐厅,食品和药物管理局会召回该产品。
But, obviously, it's kind of hard for you to do that level of investigation while you're suffering by a toilet.
但是很明显,瘫倒在厕所的我们很难做到这种水平的调查。
It's not like everyone can just run a molecular analysis for norovirus.
并不是每个人都可以对诺瓦克病毒进行分子分析。
The good news is, for most healthy folks who aren't babies or old,
好消息是,对于既不是小孩子,年纪又不大的健康人群而言,
food poisoning is a sucky illness, but you'll get better on your own.
食物中毒不值一提,靠自己就能自愈。
So it's not super important to know what kind of sick you are.
所以知道自己是哪种食物中毒也不是什么超级重要的事。
The only way to really know what's ailing you is to go to a medical professional.
知道是什么让你生病的唯一方法就是去咨询医学专家。
Which is also advisable if you don't get better in a few days or if you get severely dehydrated from all that vomiting and diarrhea.
还建议大家,如果几天还没好或是呕吐腹泻到脱水的话就去看医生。
So, like, if you're worried, go to them instead of watching me on youtube. I'm not a doctor.
如果你很担心的话,就去看医生啦,不要在Youtube上看我呀。我又不是医生。
And you can be careful about what you eat to try and avoid food poisoning altogether.
要注意自己的食物,尽量避免食物中毒。
Pay attention to those recalls on local news, and wash your hands so you don't spread any nasty microbes!
注意本地新闻上被召回的食物,勤洗手,这样就不会传播任何讨厌的细菌啦!
And if you're preparing fruits and veggies to eat raw, make sure you wash them.
如果你要生吃水果蔬菜,一定要洗干净。
A thorough scrub is important even if you don't plan to eat the outside,
彻底的清洗很重要,即便你不吃皮,
because, for instance, cutting into a melon can transfer microbes from the outer surface to that juicy middle.
因为,例如,切柠檬的时候,细菌也会从表面转移到里边。
The FDA also recommends removing any bruised or damaged parts, and the outermost leaves of lettuce or cabbage.
食品与药品管理局还建议挖掉伤损的部分,以及生菜或卷心菜最外边的部分。
Plus, thoroughly cook your food, especially beef, poultry, and eggs.
还有你的食物一定要煮熟,特别是牛肉、家禽类和鸡蛋。
Because heat kills any bacteria that might be on them.
因为高温可以杀死上边的任何细菌。
So next time your friend or family member is taken down by food poisoning, you can share your fun facts with them...
所以下一次,你的朋友或家人食物中毒了,你可以和他们分享这些有趣的事实...
I'm sure they'll be thrilled!
我保证他们会非常激动!
But, seriously, if you want to learn more about human health and nutrition,
但是讲真的,如果你想了解更多关于人类健康和营养方面的知识,
you can check out our sister channel Healthcare Triage at youtube.com/healthcaretriage.
可以登录youtube.com/healthcaretriage,观看我们姊妹频道Healthcare Triage。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
brand [brænd]

想一想再看

n. 商标,牌子,烙印,标记
vt. 打烙印,

联想记忆
microbe ['maikrəub]

想一想再看

n. 微生物

联想记忆
burst [bə:st]

想一想再看

n. 破裂,阵,爆发
v. 爆裂,迸发

 
dilate [dai'leit]

想一想再看

vt. 使扩大,使膨胀
vi. 扩大,膨胀,详

联想记忆
fever ['fi:və]

想一想再看

n. 发烧,发热,狂热
v. (使)发烧,(使

 
professional [prə'feʃənl]

想一想再看

adj. 职业的,专业的,专门的
n. 专业人

 
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
produce [prə'dju:s]

想一想再看

n. 产品,农作物
vt. 生产,提出,引起,

联想记忆
control [kən'trəul]

想一想再看

n. 克制,控制,管制,操作装置
vt. 控制

 
slightly ['slaitli]

想一想再看

adv. 些微地,苗条地

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。