I think the most important piece of career advice I ever received was probably from my mother
我觉得我收到的最重要的职业建议是我妈妈给我的
who used the phrase, “Be one with the target.”
她曾说“要做一个有目标的人”
And what she meant when she said that was,
她的意思是
when you are engaging in some kind of a high stakes professional gambit,
当你从事有某种高风险的职业时
whether it’s you’re giving a speech or a presentation at work or you’re breaking a big story,
无论你是要演讲还是做一项工作演示 亦或是带来重大消息
if you are fully invested in the goal and it’s a greater goal than yourself
如果你完全投入在这个目标中 这个目标比你还重要
it’s not about you— there’s a certain kind of armor in that,
这无关你个人——如果你只关注自己 就会产生某种盔甲
and people can attack you personally (and they certainly do attack me a lot personally)
人们就会攻击你个人(当然了 他们经常攻击我本人)
and they can try to weaponize whatever they want against you.
这样他们就能随意反驳你了
But if you are really one with the target and you know that what you’re doing contributes to goals that are bigger than yourself
但如果你目标非常明确 而且你知道你所做的事都是为了比你自己还重要的目标
and you are 100 percent off of thinking about you and your self-consciousness and your self-interest
那你就绝对不会再考虑自己和你的自我意识以及你自己的利益了
and on thinking about the problem and how you’re going to make things better through your work
而是去想怎么解决问题 怎么努力改善情况
and communicating that to the other people involved in whatever project you’re working on.
并跟相关人员进行沟通
There’s no time to get mired in the “self” piece of it,
根本就没时间让你去纠结关注“自己”
in the kind of self-consciousness and the worry about self-interest that can, I think, sideline and distract.
也没时间让你去考虑自我意识和自己的利益 这些会阻碍和分散你的注意力
That’s easier said than done.
这说起来容易做起来难
I don’t always live up to that, but it’s a great philosophy that I found really useful.
我也不一定时时都能做到 但我觉得它是一条很有用的哲理