Mirrors can be pretty freaking creepy. Don't believe it?
镜子可能会让人毛骨悚然。不相信吗?
Go into the bathroom, turn off the lights, and stare at yourself in the mirror.
你走到浴室,关上灯,盯着镜子里的自己。
Give it a minute or two … and you'll start to see things. Strange things.
过一两分钟...你就会开始看到东西,奇怪的东西。
That's what puts Bloody Mary right up there with Seven Minutes in Heaven and Truth or Dare
这让“血腥玛丽”与“天堂七分钟”以及“真心话大冒险”游戏齐名,
on the list of best old-school slumber party games.
都在最佳传统睡衣晚会游戏行列。
In the 80s movie version, you say Bloody Mary's name three times and summon a terrifying demoness in the mirror,
在80年代的电影版本中,你说三次血腥玛丽的名字,就会在镜子里召唤出一个可怕的恶魔来,
which, I'm doing just fine without those particular nightmares, thank you very much.
我没事,没做特别的噩梦,谢谢你的关心。
It's weird that looking at your reflection for too long makes you see a face in the mirror
长时间看着自己的镜像会让你在镜子里看到一张脸,
that's distorted and definitely not yours.
这张脸是扭曲的,而且绝对不是你的,这很奇怪。
That's literally the opposite of what mirrors are for.
这简直和镜子的作用正好相反。
But even though it's a little freaky, it can tell us a lot about how our brains process images, especially faces.
但它虽然怪异了点儿,却可以告诉我们很多关于大脑如何处理图像尤其是面部的知识。
In 2010, an Italian researcher asked fifty people to look into a mirror for ten minutes in a dimly lit room
在2010年,一位意大利研究人员让50个人在昏暗的房间里对着镜子看10分钟
and write down everything they saw.
并写下他们看到的一切。
Two-thirds of them saw a distorted version of their own face.
三分之二的人看到的是自己扭曲的脸。
Over a quarter saw someone that they'd never met before, or what looked like an old woman or a child.
超过四分之一的人看到的是他们从未见过的人,或者看到像老妇人或小孩的人。
And I'm literally getting goosebumps; this is freaking me out.
我真的开始起鸡皮疙瘩了,这吓到我了。
Almost half reported seeing quote-unquote "fantastical and monstrous beings."
几近一半的人报告说他们看到了所谓的“荒诞怪物”。
Some of this weirdness can be explained by the Troxler effect,
其中一些奇怪现象可以用特罗克斯勒效应来解释,
where things in your peripheral vision start to fade as you focus on something in the middle.
后者是指当你把注意力集中在中心时,你的周边视觉开始淡出。
That's because the neurons in your eyes, like other sensing neurons,
这是因为你眼睛里的神经元,与其他感觉神经元一样,
stop reacting when they get the same stimulus over and over and over again.
反复受到相同的刺激时就会停止反应。
It's kind of like how you get used to smells,
这有点儿像你习惯了气味,
or stop feeling your shirt on your skin when you're sitting still
或者在静坐时注意不到衬衫在皮肤上的感觉,
or have no idea that these glasses are always on your face even though they're always there.
或者不清楚眼镜总在脸上,即使它们一直在那里。
But you don't just see holes, your brain tries to fill in gaps in your visual field by blending with the surrounding scenery.
但你不只能看到小孔,你的大脑还试图通过与周围的景物融合来填补你视野中的空白。
So staring into your reflection's eyes can make your chin, ears, and forehead fade, Cheshire Cat-style.
所以盯着镜子里自己的眼睛会让你的下巴、耳朵和前额淡出,就像柴郡猫一样。
But the Troxler effect alone doesn't explain why you see other people in the mirror.
但是单独的特罗克斯勒效应并不能解释你在镜子里看到别人的原因。
Psychologists think that may have more to do with the way we perceive faces.
心理学家认为,这可能与我们认知面孔的方式有关。
Studies like the Thatcher illusion,
在撒切尔视错觉这样的研究中,
where researchers flipped the the eyes and mouth on a picture of Margaret Thatcher upside-down to create a horrifying monster,
研究人员将玛格丽特·撒切尔(Margaret Thatcher)画像中的眼睛和嘴翻转过来,创造出一个可怕的怪物,
show that we process the image of a face as a gestalt:
这表明我们处理面部图像的过程是一个完形:
a whole that's greater than the sum of its parts.
整体大于各个部分的总和。
So when certain features that you know are supposed to be part of a face are wrong or disappear,
所以当你认为本该是脸部一部分的某些特征错误或者消失时,
you start to have trouble processing them.
你开始很难处理它们。
Some researchers think that's what's happening when you stare in the mirror for too long.
一些研究人员认为,当你长时间盯着镜子的时候,就会发生这种情况。
The Troxler effect causes distortion and fading,
特罗克斯勒效应导致扭曲和淡出,
which disrupts the assembly of various facial features into a gestalt,
它将各种面部特征的集合分解成一个完形,
therefore making the face feel more like it belongs to someone, or something else.
因此,你的脸看起来更像是某个人或其他什么人的。
All 50 participants in the 2010 study reported feeling some amount of dissociation from their reflection.
在2010年的研究中,50名参与者全部报告说,他们感觉与自身的镜像有一定程度的分离。
The way they felt about the things they saw in the mirror depended on what they saw,
他们感知镜像的方式取决于他们看到的东西,
those that saw a terrible monster were understandably more freaked out than those that saw a rando smiling at them.
那些看到可怕怪物的人比那些看到怪咖对着他们笑的人更害怕,这是可以理解的。
But they all had the sense that the face in the mirror belonged to an "other",
但他们都觉得镜子里的脸属于“另一个人”,
a sign that high-level facial processing was being disrupted.
就是面部高级处理过程被打乱的信号了。
Not recognizing your reflection might not seem like that big of a deal,
不认识自己的镜像似乎没什么大不了的,
but there's a good reason it freaks people out:
但它有一个让人恐惧的好理由:
the ability to recognize yourself in a mirror is strongly linked to your development of a sense of self.
在镜子里识别自己的能力与你的自我意识发展密切相关。
It's something few species can do, and even we humans can't do it until we're about 20 months old.
很少有物种能做到这样,甚至我们人类直到20个月大时才能做到。
Recognizing your own reflection isn't the only indicator of self-awareness, but it's a pretty important one.
识别自己的镜像不仅是自我意识的唯一标志,而且还是非常重要的一个。
Researchers think it's part of a series of milestones that lead to developing your sense of self,
研究人员认为,它是一系列里程碑事件中的一件,这些重要事件引起自我意识的发展,
as well as the understanding that other people have their own beliefs and desires.
以及对别人有自己的信仰和欲望的理解。
So looking in the mirror and seeing a face that's not your own might be more than just creepy.
所以照镜子时看到一张不属于自己的脸可能不仅仅让人毛骨悚然。
It might actually cause a bit of an identity crisis for a second there.
它实际上可能还会引发身份认同危机。
What psychologists can't explain is why we see monsters.
心理学家无法解释的是我们为什么会看到怪物。
Weird, creepy, Bloody Marys? Sure.
它们是奇怪且令人毛骨悚然的血腥玛丽?是的。
But these ideas don't fully explain why we see non-human faces.
但这些观点并不能完全解释我们看到非人类面孔的原因。
It's one of those psychological mysteries that, when solved, could teach us a lot more about how our brains work.
它是一个心理谜团,一旦解开,就能让我们更多地了解大脑是如何工作的。
So if you're getting chills looking at your reflection,
所以如果你看到自己的镜像时发冷,
just turn on the lights and maybe don't look quite so long at yourself in the mirror.
就打开灯,别长时间盯着镜子里的自己了。
It's not actually a monster. Pinky swear.
它实际不是怪物。我和你拉钩打赌。
Alright, SciShow Psych viewers, I got an EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT for you!
好了,心理科学秀的观众们,我有一个激动人心的消息要告诉你!
Some of the SciShow team and I were talking about a problem that we often have.
一些科学秀团队成员和我讨论一个我们经常遇到的问题。
People will ask us, "what do you want for Christmas or your birthday?"
人们会问我们“你圣诞节或生日要什么礼物?”
and then we feel kind of bad for not having a good answer to that question.
我们没有好答案,感觉有点儿难过。
But then I was thinking, there are some things that I've gotten for myself
但随后我就想,有些东西是我自己得到的,
or that I want or that people have gotten for me that I really love!
或者是我想要的,或者是别人给我得我真正喜欢的!
Because it's symbolic of my love of the world,
因为它象征着我对世界的爱,
or lets me do experiments on myself or it lets me learn more about things!
或者它促使我自己做实验,或者它让我了解更多的东西!
So we have put together a collection of artifacts of this universe …
所以我们收集了一些宇宙的人工制品...
we got a limited number of each of these things,
它们数量有限,
and we have put them up at a store called SciShow Finds.
我们将它们陈列一个叫做SciShow find的商店里。
These SciShow Finds are curated by me, they are things that I would love to get in my stocking.
这些SciShow Finds是由我策划的,它们是我乐意放进袜子里的东西。
We're going to continue adding new finds as we find them throughout the year,
我们将全年搜寻,继续增加新的发现物,
and the new ones will replace these old ones,
并用新货代替旧货,
so all of these products are only around for a limited time.
所以这些产品的货架时间有限。
You're bound to have friends or family who would love these Mars Socks,
你一定有朋友或家人喜欢这些火星袜子,
trilobite fossils, or this Space Shuttle lapel pin.
三叶虫化石或者航天飞机的翻领夹。
And, if not, maybe you want to get them for yourself
如果没有的话,你可能想为自己买,
or just shoot that link over to anyone who asks you what you want for Christmas and say,
或者把链接发送给任何问你圣诞节想要什么的人,并说,
"You know, anything from this site would be really cool.
“你知道的,这个网站的东西很酷。
Mom was probably going to get you socks anyway, now she's gonna get you some socks you're really gonna like.
妈妈可能会给你买袜子,现在她会给你买你一定喜欢的袜子。
And know that when you buy from SciShowFinds.com,
当你从SciShowFinds.com购物时,
or you send that link to somebody, you're also supporting SciShow.
或者把链接发给别人时,你就是在支持科学秀栏目。
So, thanks for doing that. And thanks for watching because that's another way to support us.
所以感谢您这样做,感谢您的收看,因为这是支持我们的另一种方式。