"Why not?" she replied.
“为什么不呢?”她回答说。
"Why, it is said that he never lets anyone come into his presence.
“啊,听说他未接见过任何人。
I have been to the Emerald City many times, and it is a beautiful and wonderful place;
我去过翡翠城很多次,那儿的风景奇异而美丽;
but I have never been permitted to see the Great Oz, nor do I know of any living person who has seen him."
但是我从来没有被允许去拜见伟大的奥芝,我也不知道有谁亲眼看见过他。”
"Does he never go out?" asked the Scarecrow.
稻草人问:“难道他从来不出来吗?”
"Never. He sits day after day in the great Throne Room of his Palace,
“从来不。他每天坐在他宫殿中的崇高宝座上,
and even those who wait upon him do not see him face to face."
即使那些侍奉他的人,也从没有面对面地看过他。”
"What is he like?" asked the girl.
女孩子问:“他长得什么样呢?”
"That is hard to tell," said the man thoughtfully.
“那就说不清楚了,”男人深沉地说。
"You see, Oz is a Great Wizard, and can take on any form he wishes.
“你要知道,奥芝是一个伟大的魔术家,他可以随意变幻。
So that some say he looks like a bird; and some say he looks like an elephant; and some say he looks like a cat.
因此有人说他像一只鸟;有人说像一头象;有人又说他像一只猫。
To others he appears as a beautiful fairy, or a brownie, or in any other form that pleases him.
对着另一些人,他像一个美丽的神仙出现着,或者像一个小神仙。总之,是他愿意变成什么,就能变成什么。
But who the real Oz is, when he is in his own form, no living person can tell."
然而,真正的奥芝,他原来的面貌,没有一个人能够说得出来。”
"That is very strange," said Dorothy,
多萝茜说:“那真是奇怪透顶了,”
"but we must try, in some way, to see him, or we shall have made our journey for nothing."
“既然来了,我们就得想办法试试看,否则,我们的旅行就毫无结果了。”
"Why do you wish to see the terrible Oz?" asked the man.
男人问:“你们为什么要去访问那可怕的奥芝?”
"I want him to give me some brains," said the Scarecrow eagerly.
稻草人急切地说:“我请求他给我一个脑子。”
"Oh, Oz could do that easily enough," declared the man. "He has more brains than he needs."
“啊,那简直不费吹灰之力,”男人肯定地说。“他有比他所需要的更多的脑子。”
"And I want him to give me a heart," said the Tin Woodman.
铁皮人说:“我请求他给我一颗心。”
"That will not trouble him," continued the man, "for Oz has a large collection of hearts, of all sizes and shapes."
“那也不难,”男人继续地说,“因为奥芝有一大堆各种形状不一的大大小小的心。”
"And I want him to give me courage," said the Cowardly Lion.
胆小的狮子说:“我请求他给我一点胆量。”
"Oz keeps a great pot of courage in his Throne Room," said the man,
“在奥芝的皇宫里,藏着一大锅的胆量,”男人说,
"which he has covered with a golden plate, to keep it from running over. He will be glad to give you some."
“他用一只金盆子盖着,免得它们溜掉。他很乐意给你一点儿。”
"And I want him to send me back to Kansas." said Dorothy.
多萝茜说:“我请求他把我送回堪萨斯州去。”