One of the most common mistakes I see in interviewing is that the candidate puts on what I call the interview mask.
我在面试时看到人们最常犯的错误之一就是 面试人会戴上我所谓的面试面具
They shift from who they are to “I am now the ideal candidate.”
他们从他们是谁变成了“现在我是理想的候选人”
And it almost becomes robotic. And it becomes disconnected.
这会变得很机械 跟工作一点关联都没有
And we sit there in front of somebody and we’re not really us.
我们坐在别人面前 展现的却不是真正的自己
I’ve always brought who I am to an interview.
我自己面试时经常会告诉面试官我是谁
And sometimes I didn’t get the job because of it.
有时候我会因为这样而失去机会
But isn’t it better for somebody to understand that this is who you are and how you’ll interact
但是让别人了解你就是这样的人 你会这样跟人交流
when you’re not just sitting in that interview chair— and does it fit with the organization?
你的特点与公司是否契合 而不仅仅是坐在面试椅上 这样不是更好吗
I went through seven rounds with the most impressive consulting company that you’d ever heard of.
我曾经历过你能想得到的最令人钦佩的咨询公司的七轮面试
I wanted the job, and I was me and I was loose and I was chatty.
我想要那份工作 我表现的就是真实的自己 很放松 很爱聊天
And the feedback even after seven rounds when they had the technical skill.
七轮面试之后他们问我是否有专业技能
Remember, they’re only trying to figure out three things.
记住 他们只想弄清楚三件事
Can they do the job? Do they want to do the job? And will they fit?
他们能做这份工作吗 他们想做这份工作吗 他们合适吗
Well they knew I could do the job. They knew I wanted to do the job.
他们知道我能胜任那份工作 也知道我想做
And they kept interviewing to try to find this fit, and it wasn’t there.
然后他们继续面试想知道我是否适合 结果发现不适合
And after I was upset for an hour I got over it.
然后我难过了一小时 就让这事过去了
If you understand that if you’re bringing this mask, this persona that is not what you’re going to bring to the workforce,
如果你能理解 如果你戴着面具 那个面试的人并不是你以后工作中的样子
you might end up in a role that is not the right one for you.
那你可能找到一份并不适合自己的工作
We often get contrary questions seeking information that might not put us in the best light.
我们经常会被问到一些问题 这些问题会暴露出我们的缺点
And our idea of a great response is to give them a fake one, give them one that looks like a strength.
我们认为最理想的回答就是编一个假的 让他们觉得这是我们的优点
Well I was in that position and I had my what’s your greatest weakness answer ready – delegation.
我曾经有过这样的处境 我已经准备好了“你最大的缺点是什么”的答案——代表
Thinking “oh, I’m a doer and I do it all myself,” and I presented that.
想着“哦 我是个行动派 所有事情都自己独揽” 我就是这么回答的
And the interviewer said “yeah, I get that answer all the time.
面试官说“嗯 这个答案我都听腻了
Give me another one.” And I was a deer in the headlights.
说个新鲜的” 我当时惊慌失色
And I tried humor and I said, “What do you mean? I’m not perfect? I have more flaws?”
我试着用幽默的方式带过去 我说“你什么意思?我不完美吗?我还有更多缺点?”
He wouldn’t let me get away with it.
他还是紧抓着不放
And what happens in those moments is that you give a real answer.
这时候你应该做的就是给出真实的回答
And that’s what I want you to do. Give a real answer.
我想让你们这么做 给出真实的回答
And I said “well, if you asked my mom the question she’ll tell you that sometimes I talk before I think and that my foot fits very well into my mouth.
我说“如果你去问我妈这个问题 她肯定会告诉你有时候我说话不经大脑 经常祸从口出
And it’s true, and I’m working on it.”
这是真的 不过我正在努力改”
And then I proceeded to say “here’s the ways in which I’m trying to get better at that. But I’m not there yet.”
然后我接着说“我用过这些方法试着改进 不过还没有改完”
If that interviewer leaves not having the answers that they need it’s very hard to evaluate whether or not they want to hire you.
如果面试官面试结束后没有得到他们想要的回答 那就很难确定他们是否要雇你
So if somebody asks you a question make sure you are giving them the answer up front.
所以如果有人问你问题 一定要给出他们最直接的回答
I always say: put the bottom line on top. Answer the question and then explain it.
我经常说:把最真实的东西放在最开始说 回答问题 然后解释一下
A company would much rather have somebody who’s aware of the things that they need to work on
公司宁愿要一个知道自己在哪些方面需要改进
and know that they’re working on it than somebody who thinks “I got this all”.
也确实在努力改进的人 也不愿意要一个觉得“我完美无瑕”的人
Attitude over aptitude will get you a long way.
态度第一 资质第二 这样你才能走得长远
Another mistake that candidates make is not recognizing when the interview starts and when it stops.
被面试者犯的另一个错误就是看不出来面试什么时候开始什么时候结束
Because it’s not just that hour that you’re in the room.
因为面试不仅仅是指你在面试房间里的那一小时
That interview starts from the moment they invite you for the interview and sometimes even before.
从他们邀请你面试的那一刻就开始了 有时候甚至更早
Every interaction you have in scheduling, in the security area, in the elevator, in the waiting room are all part of the process.
你在安排计划 保安区 电梯 等候室里的每一次交流都是面试的一部分
And I love that time where you’re walking from the waiting room to the interview room with your interviewer.
我很喜欢你跟面试官一起从等候室走到面试房间的那段时间
That rapport building is such a key portion of the interview.
那时候的密切关系是面试至关重要的一部分
And I actually consider it the initial stage.
我觉得那是面试的起步阶段
After the interview is over, that hour ends and they say goodbye—it’s not over.
面试结束后 时间到了 他们说再见的时候——还没有结束
We all know about the thank-you note.
我们都知道还得表达感谢
But I would even tell you that when you don’t get the job, it’s still not over.
但我想说 即便你没有得到这份工作 面试也没有结束
Build the relationship with that interviewer.
要跟面试官结识一下
Build the relationship with the company because maybe that job wasn’t the right one for you, but maybe the next one is.
要跟那家公司建立联系 因为可能这份工作不适合你 但说不定下一个就是为你量身打造的
Get some feedback. Maybe you can enhance your skills and do better at the next interview.
问他们要反馈 或许你在下次面试的时候就能提高技能 做得更好
Maybe you know somebody that you can refer in.
或许你还认识一些可以引荐的人
Understand that the end of the interview is not the end.
要知道面试结束并不是真正的结束