Hi. Welcome back to engVid. My name's Adam. Nice to see you again.Today's lesson is about idioms.
欢迎来到Engvid,我是Adam,很高兴再次见到你们。今天的课程主要关于习语。
Everybody loves to learn new idioms because they're used every day.
大家都喜欢学点新的习语,因为每天都能用到。
Sometimes they're a little bit hard to understand.
有的时候习语有点儿难懂。
Today, we're looking at colourful idioms, idioms that use colour in their expression.
今天我们来看一看一些“五颜六色”的习语,在表达中用到色彩的习语。
Before I begin, "colourful", you'll notice I used "u".
开始之前说一下,"colourful",你会注意到我用了"u"。
I'm Canadian, we use the "u" just like the British people.
我是加拿大人,我们向英国人一样,用"u"。
Americans use only the "o", no "u". I used both just to make everybody happy.
美国人只用"o"没有"u",我两个都加上了,皆大欢喜。
So just so you understand, it's not a spelling mistake either way.
只是为了让你明白我这个地方不是拼写错误。
Let's begin. So I have a few idioms here.
我们来开始吧,我这边写了几个习语。
The thing about idioms, they never mean what the words say; you have to actually understand what the idiom means and how to use it.
这些习语从来都不是字面表达的意思,你需要真正理解这些习语的含义并且弄明白该怎么用。
So, if someone sees the world or sees a situation "through rose-tinted glasses".
那么,会有人"through rose-tinted glasses"来看世界。
"Glasses" are glasses you wear on your head.
"Glasses"就是你戴的那个眼镜。
"Rose-tinted", there's a little bit of a pink shade on the glass.
"Rose-tinted",表示镜片颜色有点粉色。
So you're seeing the world a little bit pinkish, like the colour of the rose.
所以你戴着这种眼镜看世界就会有点粉色,玫瑰花的颜色。
That means you're very optimistic.
这个短语的意思是说你非常乐观。
Even in a bad situation, you're going to see everything as good.
即便是在不太好的情况下,你还是会乐观的看待事物。
You're seeing the world through rose-tinted glasses. Right?
你就是通过这种玫瑰色的眼镜看世界的,对吧?
You work at a company and they're about to layoff half of the staff; half of the people are going home, no more job.
你在的公司说要裁掉一半员工,有一半人都要回家没工作了。
And you think: "Oh, this is a great opportunity for me to find a new job and get a...advance my career."
而你会想:“哦,这正是我找新工作的好机会,可以进一步发展我的职业了。”
So I am seeing the situation through rose-tinted glasses.
所以这就是通过玫瑰色的眼镜看世界。
I don't see the bad economy, I don't see the fact that I'm 55 years old and I don't have any skills except for what I do in my job, but I will be okay.
我不会在乎糟糕的经济状况,不会想我已经55岁这样的事实,我除了干本职工作没有任何其他技能,但是我会过的还不错。
"Rose-tinted glasses"."Give someone the green light."You often hear this about governments giving the army the green light to attack.
"Rose-tinted glasses"。"Give someone the green light."你经常会听到这句话,政府会给军队开绿灯发起进攻。
"To give the green light", to give permission. Okay?Go ahead, like a green light in traffic.You see the green light, press the gas, you go.
“开绿灯”,给予许可,明白了吗?直行,就像开车的时候看到绿灯。你看到绿灯了就踩油门,然后直行。
So, for example: The...excuse me. The board of directors gave the CEO the green light to layoff half his staff, even the ones wearing rose-tinted glasses.
比如说,公司董事会的成员同意CEO裁员一半,即便是那些比较乐观的人。

Okay? So everybody's going home; no more work.
明白了吗?就是大家都回家,集体下岗。
"With flying colors", we always add this expression to the end of an event or action.
"With flying colors",我们经常在某件事或者活动之后用这个短语。
So, for example: "He passed his interview with flying colours."
比如说,"He passed his interview with flying colours."
With flying colours means very, very successful; he did very, very well.
With flying colours就是指非常非常成功。
He went to a job interview, he passed with flying colours.He got offered the job. Okay?
他去了一个面试,表现得非常成功。他得到了那份工作。
If you're "tickled pink", means you're very, very happy. Like tickled, tickle, funny - right?
如果你"tickled pink",就表明你非常开心,就像挠痒痒一样,很想笑。
You're tickled pink, you get all pink in the face, you're very happy.
你"tickled pink",就是说脸红了,非常开心。
So, Tom's grandfather was very...was tickled pink when he found out that Tom and his wife were pregnant.
Tom的爷爷发现Tom的妻子怀孕了非常开心。
Now, I say: "Tom and his wife were pregnant," because it's common for couples to think of themselves as pregnant, even though it's only the woman, of course.
我写的是"Tom and his wife were pregnant," 因为对于夫妻来讲,觉得是两个人一起怀孕这种想法很常见,即便当然只是女人怀孕。
"Paint the town red." This is a very good expression.You're studying for your English exams.
"Paint the town red." 这是一个非常好的表达。你在为英语考试努力学习。
Okay? You're very hard...studying very hard, very hard, very hard.You finish your exams, you're free.
学的非常非常努力。考完试之后,你可以放松了。
This weekend, you're going to go paint the town red, means you're going to go party.
这周末,你就要"Paint the town red",就是说你要去参加派对了。
You're going to have a very good time, you're going to spend all night drinking, and partying, and clubs, and dancing, and people.
你会在那里享受非常好的时光,你要在那里喝一晚上酒,和一大群人一起狂欢。
Have a very good time, you're going to paint the town red; do everything."Blue-collared worker/white-collared worker".
享受好时光,你要尽情狂欢。"Blue-collared worker/white-collared worker".
This might be a very common expression for you. "Blue-collared".
这可能对大家来说是一个很常见的表达,“蓝领”。
So, first of all, a collar, if you have a shirt with a tie let's say or no tie.
首先,领子,就是打领带穿衬衫的那种领子,或者不打领带。
This is the collar-sorry about the tapping-you have a collar.
这就是一个领子。
If it's blue, means you're working in a factory or a garage; you're a mechanic or you're working in some skilled job.
如果领子是蓝色的,那么你就是在工厂或者车厂工作,你是技师或者从事某种需要技术的工作。
If you're a white-collared worker, if the colour of your collar is white, means you're working in an office, you're some kind of professional. Okay?
如果你是白领,那么你就是在办公室工作,从事职业性工作。
Now, if you're the type of person who "sees things in black and white" means you're very straightforward, very simple, very direct.
如果你是那种"sees things in black and white"的人,就是说你非常直率,为人简单。
Maybe a little bit lacking imagination, not necessarily.Things are black and white; there's no grey, there's no middle ground.
可能有点儿缺乏想象力。事情非黑即白,没有灰色,没有中间地带。
It's like this or like that; no other way. Right?So you're seeing things in black and white.
要么喜欢这个,要么喜欢那个,没有别的选择。你看事情是非黑即白的。
Everybody has a...Somebody comes across a problem and some people see things as possibilities.The guy with the rose-tinted glasses, he sees potential.
有些人会遇到问题,也有人会看到可能性。那种乐观的人就会看到潜力。
The guy who sees things in black and white, he thinks: "I'm out of a job, I'm in trouble."He doesn't imagine beyond that. Okay?
而那些非黑即白的人,就会想:“我失业了,麻烦大了。”他没有想过其他的事情。
So these are some very useful expressions, used every day, good idioms.
这就是一些日常可以用到的实用习语。
You can practice using these at www.engvid.com. There's a quiz there. And, of course, ask questions.See you again.
你可以在www.engvid.com上练习,做测验,当然也可以提问。下周见。