There's really no difference between here and home.
这儿和家其实没什么两样
It's just everything's compacted down to a 14 by 14 room.
只是所有的东西都放在了一个14平米的房间里了
Once you start staffing your lookout,
一旦你住进瞭望台里
you're gonna be working 10 days on, four days off, late June until usually mid-September.
你就得工作10天休息4天,一般要从6月下旬一直到9月中旬
It's a pretty quiet existence.
这种生活很安静
This is my 24th season at a Fire Lookout.
我已经在这个防火瞭望台住了24个季节了
Really it's just you and the wind and the time just melts away.
这里除了你,就只有风,时间就这样静静地流逝
My name is Leif Haugen, and we're at Thoma Lookout.
我是雷夫·豪根,欢迎来到托马瞭望台
A fire lookout is a structure that sits on top of a mountain or ridge-top
防火瞭望台是位于山顶或山脊顶部的一个建筑
that has a good view of the surrounding country
在瞭望台可以清楚地看到周围的乡村
and the staffer, then, is tasked with living there for extended periods to watch for fire.
而瞭望台的工作人员的职责就是长期住在瞭望台,提防火灾的发生
It's funny, 'cause I get a lot of questions about the standard day.
住在这儿挺好玩儿的,因为即便是寻常的一天,我也会遇到很多问题
You wake up with the sun.
你会和太阳一起醒来
I mean, it's hard to sleep in a room of glass much beyond sunrise.
我的意思是,在一个玻璃房里要想睡到太阳出来之后是很难的
First thing I'll do is make a cup of coffee.
起来之后我会先煮一杯咖啡
And usually I'll have that first cup of coffee on the front porch,
通常我都会去屋前喝咖啡
sit out there, watch the sun come up.
坐在那儿看日出
Certainly every morning I go out for a walk.
当然了,每天早上我都会出去走走
I check in at 10.
我会在10点的时候上线电台
Hey good morning, I have 67 degrees.
嘿,早安,我这里是67度
I take the weather every day at two.
我每天都要负责2点的天气预报
Winds are calm, skies are clear.
天气很好,有微风
And checkout at 4:15.
我会在4点15从电台下线
Have a good day.
祝大家开心
I think in the solitary nature,
我觉得住在幽静的大自然
when there's really no fires going, the only thing I might do is check in on the radio twice a day.
没有火灾的时候,我唯一能做的就是一天上两次电台
That might be the only time I really talk unless I'm talking to myself.
除了自言自语,那就是我唯一会说话的时间了
I think what's so tricky sometimes talking about the lookout experience,
说起自己在瞭望台生活的感受,有时也会很棘手
is you're not talking to anybody about it.
因为你没有跟任何人聊过这个
So you more intuit it, you more experience it.
你更多的是凭直觉去感受,更多的是自己体验
I think that's why I always use the term resonance
我想,这就是我之所以经常用“共鸣”这个词的原因吧
because you just can feel it and sense it.
因为你就是可以感受得到,体会得到
Maybe that's fanciful but it certainly is the way I feel about it.
可能你会觉得有点稀奇,但是我真的就是这么认为的
You know you just find yourself sitting on the porch
我会发现当你坐在前廊,
watching the world go by for hours on end.
就一直坐着,感受时间的流逝
It's beautiful.
那种感觉很美好
When you look at, you know, the lifestyle of a Fire lookout,
看待在一个火灾瞭望台的生活方式的时候
it can be a hard choice at times, too, you know, I'm missing a wedding tonight.
你得知道,有时也会面临两难的境地,今天晚上我就要错过一场婚礼
Over the course of the summer, you might miss a lot of stuff in your life.
夏天你也会错过人生的很多东西
But certainly every summer I keep coming back
但我每个夏天肯定都会回来
because living on top of a mountain for days on end, is just such a beautiful chance at making a life of it.
因为在山顶连续住一段时间是如此美好的一个机会,让我可以在这里过出另一种生活方式