Two loves I have of comfort and despair,
我有两个爱人,分管着安慰和绝望,
Which like two spirits do suggest me still:
像两个精灵,轮番诱惑在我的心房,
The better angel is a man right fair,
善的那一个是男人,英俊潇洒,
The worser spirit a woman colour'd ill.
恶的那一个是女人,脸黑睛黄。
To win me soon to hell, my female evil
为使我早日跨进绝望的地狱,
Tempteth my better angel from my side,
邪恶阴柔骗走了我善性的阳刚,
And would corrupt my saint to be a devil,
她还使我的好精灵化作魔鬼,
Wooing his purity with her foul pride.
用脏污的肉欲使其纯真沦为荒唐。
And whether that my angel be turn'd fiend
我的善精神是否已成妖魅,我疑心,
Suspect I may, but not directly tell;
却不能立刻有一个盖棺论定,
But being both from me, both to each friend,
但既然这二人都离我朋比为奸,
I guess one angel in another's hell:
我敢说善精灵已进了那一个的阴间门。
Yet this shall I ne'er know, but live in doubt,
除了瞎猜我永不知那葫芦装的什么药,
Till my bad angel fire my good one out.
除非是恶精灵用梅毒把善精灵吓跑。