O, how I faint when I of you do write,
啊,一面写颂诗,一面满怀凄凉,
Knowing a better spirit doth use your name,
因为另一名高手也在把你歌唱。
And in the praise thereof spends all his might,
为了赞美你他不惜搜索枯肠,
To make me tongue-tied, speaking of your fame!
要使我钳口结舌、颓笔无光。
But since your worth, wide as the ocean is,
但既然你的德行广若四海,
The humble as the proudest sail doth bear,
当容得小船大舶共水同航;
My saucy bark inferior far to his
我这轻舟虽万难与其艨艟比量,
On your broad main doth wilfully appear.
又何妨随意驶进你海阔天长。
Your shallowest help will hold me up afloat,
你有浅处可令我戏波其上,
Whilst he upon your soundless deep doth ride;
亦有深处可供他纵马松缰。
Or being wreck'd, I am a worthless boat,
偶遇不测,我只是扁舟一叶不须惜,
He of tall building and of goodly pride:
他却是巨舰宏构,帆重桅高价高昂。
Then if he thrive and I be cast away,
他日里,假如是他得宠我遭放,
The worst was this; my love was my decay.
最坏不过此下场:我爱使我亡。