Dialogue 1
Mark: Jingjing, did you have a good holiday?
马克:京晶,假期过得愉快吗?
Jingjing: Yeah, I went on a trip with some of my university classmates.
京晶:不错哦。我和几个大学同学一起来了个小旅行。
Mark: Where did you go?
马克:你们去哪儿了?
Jingjing: We went to Chengdu to see the pandas and eat spicy food.
京晶:我们去成都看大熊猫了,还吃了辣辣的食物。
Mark: Wow that must have been loads of fun. Why didn't you post anything about it on WeChat?
马克:哇哦,那一定很好玩吧!为什么不见你在朋友圈里晒一晒呢?
Jingjing: Well, I don't like to show off my personal life.
京晶:嗯,我不太喜欢过于展示(炫耀)自己的私生活。
Mark: That's good of you. I've noticed you're pretty devoted to work. That shows on your WeChat posts.
马克:那也挺好的。我注意到你工作挺投入的,从你的微信发布上就能看出来。
Jingjing: Yeah, I think of WeChat as something connected with work.
京晶:是啊,我认为微信是与工作密切相连的东西。
Mark: Well, it's good to know you had fun during the holiday.
马克:那好吧。知道你假期玩得不错就好。
Jingjing: It was fun. I hadn't set eyes on some of my classmates in years.
京晶:确实好玩。有些同学我都好多年没见面了。
Mark: I know how that goes. Lucky you, you got to paint the town and see some natural scenery all in one trip.
马克:我知道你们怎么玩的。瞧你们幸运得,你们大肆狂欢呗,一趟旅途就看遍了所有的好风景。
Jingjing: I think I've still got the pictures on my phone.
京晶:我想我手机里还有些照片。
Mark: Ha ha, now you want to show off?
马克:哈哈,那你现在要晒一下吗?
Jingjing: Not if you're going to bust my chops about it!
京晶:才不呢如果你要取笑我的话。
New words: 习语短语
loads of fun许多乐趣 many fun activities
That's good of you. 真不错,挺好的,对某人表达慷慨,关切的口头语nice of you, showing your generosity and consideration for others
set eyes on 亲眼看见、瞧见 see, in real life
paint the town玩得很开心have fun in a city, by eating fancy meals and going to shows
bust (someone's) chops 痛击,开玩笑地斥责某人chide someone jokingly
Dialogue 2
Jingjing and Mark talk later the same day.
京晶和马克之后继续聊着
Jingjing: Mark, I forgot to ask you what you did on your holiday.
京晶:马克,我忘了问你你假期都干了什么呀?
Mark: I had a stay-cation and caught up on work.
马克:我就过了一个原地待着的假期,手里一堆工作。
Jingjing: That doesn't sound very exciting.
京晶:这听着可不太有趣。
Mark: It wasn't much to brag about. That's why I didn't post anything over the holiday.
马克:这也没什么可吹的吧,这就是为什么假期里我什么都没发(在朋友圈)。
Jingjing: Do you wish you'd taken a trip?
京晶:你希望你也来一趟说走就走的旅行吗?
Mark: I didn't want to deal with crowds and traffic.
马克:我可不想对付拥挤的人群和交通那些麻烦事。
Jingjing: Yeah, it gets to be a mob scene in some places this time of year.
京晶:对啊,今年有些地方已经是人山人海了。
Mark: Well, yeah, but my WeChat contacts made it seem like I was missing the best time of year.
马克:但是我那些微信朋友们搞得我好像错过了今年最好的时节。
Jingjing: Let me guess, selfies and scenery made you feel bad?
京晶:我猜猜,秀自拍和秀风景让你感觉不爽吗?
Mark: That's basically it. I'd reach a natural stopping point in work, check WeChat and—oh, look at how much fun we're having!
马克:差不多说到点儿上了吧。我正工作着,稍微停下来休息的时候,一翻朋友圈——天,瞧我们玩得多开心呐!
Jingjing: That can be annoying: new possessions, fancy meals, breathtaking sights... Aren't you happy for your friends, though?
京晶:那就有些令人烦躁了:新买的东西呀,豪华大餐呀,美得令人屏息的风景呀,不过,你难道不为你的朋友们感到高兴吗?
Mark: Of course I'm happy for them. They remind me about the need to be modest when it comes to the times I spend living it up.
马克:我当然为他们感到高兴啦。他们也提醒了我,当我纵情玩乐时还是需要保持低调。
Jingjing: Well, I'll expect to see news stories and useful information on your WeChat posts then.
京晶:好吧,那我也希望在你的朋友圈里看到新的故事和有用的信息。
Mark: Don't hold your breath for that. I'll probably brag about the next fun trip I take.
马克:别当真。我可能下次旅行回来也会晒一晒。
New words: 习语短语
stay-cation 呆在原地的假期 relaxing and pampering yourself during a holiday, without leaving the city where you live
a mob scene 人山人海a very crowded area, such as the Badaling site of the Great Wall on a spring weekend
a natural stopping point 工作休息的间隙 a time, when someone has finished part of their work or a speech they're making, at which a person could have a rest or introduce a new task/idea
living it up 奢侈的消遣玩乐 having fun, often in an expensive way
Don't hold your breath. 别屏住你的呼吸, 别等太久,你不要当真,这个可能不会发生 This means something isn't likely to happen anytime in the near future.
Dialogue 3
Jingjing and Mark see each other after another short holiday.
一次短假后,马克和京晶又见面了
Jingjing: Mark, I saw what you posted of your trip to the wetlands.
京晶:马克,我看见你去湿地的旅行发布了。
Mark: Good times, right?
马克:玩得还不错吧?
Jingjing: Yeah—such beautiful scenery too!
京晶:是呢,也是相当不错的风景呢!
Mark: Well, I'll let you in on a little secret: I didn't get in.
马克:好吧,我要向你透露一个小秘密:我其实没进去。
Jingjing: What was the problem?
京晶:什么情况?
Mark: The park was closed for the holiday or something. So, I just took pictures through the fence.
马克:公园因为放假或什么别的原因关门了。所以,我就透过栅栏拍了几张照。
Jingjing: Ha ha. Not only did you show off, you showed off something you didn't do!
京晶:哈哈哈哈,你还不仅是炫耀,你还炫那些你没做的事呀!