The note was undated, and without either signature or address.
这张便条没有日期,也没有签名和地址。
"There will call upon you to-night, at a quarter to eight o'clock (it said),
(便条里写道:)"某君将于今晚七时三刻趋访,
a gentleman who desires to consult you upon a matter of the very deepest moment.
其有至为重要之事拟与阁下相商。
Your recent services to one of the royal houses of Europe have shown that
阁下最近为欧洲一王室出力效劳表明,
you are one who may safely be trusted with matters which are of an importance which can hardly be exaggerated.
委托阁下承办难于言喻之大事,足可信赖。
This account of you we have from all quarters received.
此种传述,广播四方,我等知之甚稔。
Be in your chamber then at that hour, and do not take it amiss if your visitor wear a mask."
届时望勿外出。来客如戴面具,请勿介意是幸。"
"This is indeed a mystery," I remarked. "What do you imagine that it means?"
"这的确是件很神秘的事,"我说,"你想这是什么意思?"
"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data.
"我还没有可以作为论据的事实。在我们得到这些事实之前就加以推测,那是最大的错误。
Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
有人不知不觉地以事实牵强附会地来适应理论,而不是以理论来适应事实。
But the note itself. What do you deduce from it?"
但是现在只有这么一张便条,你看能不能从中推断出些什么来?"
I carefully examined the writing, and the paper upon which it was written.
我仔细地检查笔迹和这张写着字的纸。
"The man who wrote it was presumably well to do," I remarked, endeavouring to imitate my companion's processes.
"写这张条子的人大概相当有钱,"我说着,尽力模仿我伙伴的推理方法。
"Such paper could not be bought under half a crown a packet. It is peculiarly strong and stiff."
"这种纸半个克朗买不到一叠。纸质特别结实和挺括。"
"Peculiar–that is the very word," said Holmes. "It is not an English paper at all. Hold it up to the light."
"特别--正是这两个字,"福尔摩斯说,"这根本不是一张英国造的纸。你举起来向亮处照照看。"