Dialogue 1
Mark: Hey, girl! Happy New Year!
马克:嗨,京晶,新年快乐!
Jingjing: Back at ya, what are your plans for the big day?
京晶:你也是,你新年这天有什么打算吗?
Mark: I'm going to my grandparent's house to have a big feast. Aren't you jealous?
马克:我要去我祖父母家吃大餐,你羡慕吧?
Jingjing: Umm,no! I'm also going to my grandparent's home to pig out. On top of that, I will sing my heart out at KTV with my friends from my hometown.
京晶:我才不羡慕呢,我也要去我祖父母家大吃一顿。除此之外,我要和我家乡的朋友们去KTV引吭高歌一番。
Mark: That sounds like fun. So are your grandparent's good cooks?
马克:听起来很有意思呀,那么你的祖父母做饭很好吃喽?
Jingjing: Off the record, not really, but I don't have the heart to tell them. Besides, the New Year isn't just about stuffing your face with food, it's about being with your family.
京晶:私下跟你说,其实不太好吃,但是我不忍心告诉他们。况且,新年并不仅仅是要大吃特吃,最重要的是和家人在一起。
Mark: Well,my family member's are all good cooks. My mother's apple pie is finger lickin' good.
马克:我的家人都是烹饪高手,我妈妈的苹果派好吃得不得了。
Jingjing: Well, enjoy your New Year, and save me a piece of pie, will you?
京晶:好吧,那祝你新年快乐,给我留一块你妈妈的苹果派,行不行?
Mark: Sure, if I don't eat all of it first!
马克:没问题,要是我没把它们吃光的话。
习语短语
back at ya=你也是
the big day=大日子。这里指春节,通常指某人的婚礼当天
feast=宴会。很多人聚在一起吃很丰盛的食物,通常在某个特别的日子举行,如节假日
pig out=大吃特吃
on top of that=[口头语]而且,除那以外
good cook=大厨,指做饭好吃的人
off the record=私底下说。指某人不想公开自己说的话,尤其是在对媒体说话时用
Don't have the heart to do something.=不忍心做某事。
stuff one's face=吃很多食物
finger lickin' good=食物太好吃了,以至于吃完之后还忍不住舔手指
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: So, Mark, how was your New Year? Did you save a piece of pie for me?
京晶:马克,你新年过得怎么样啊?有没有给我留一块苹果派啊?
Mark: No I didn't, I never made it to my grandparent's house.
马克:没有,我就没去成我祖父母家。
Jingjing: Huh? What happened? Is everything okay?
京晶:啊,怎么了?没出什么事儿吧?
Mark: It's a long story, my mom and I got in an argument on the way to my grandparent's house.
马克:说来话长,我和我妈在去的路上发生了争执。
Jingjing: What was all the fussing about?
京晶:你们俩为什么吵呢?
Mark: My mom was being a back seat driver. She always freaks out whenever I drive her somewhere.
马克:我妈妈总对我开车指手划脚,无论我开车带她去哪儿,她都紧张得不得了。
Jingjing: Well,then why didn't she drive you guys there?
京晶:那她怎么不开车带你们去呢?
Mark: She had a charley horse from exercising earlier so she didn't feel like driving.
马克:她之前锻炼造成了腿部肌肉痉挛,所以她不想开车。
Jingjing: So cut to the chase, what happened in the car?
京晶:那长话短说,后来怎么样了?
Mark: I told my mom to put a sock in it, but she wouldn't listen. Finally I got so frustrated that I turned around and drove back home.
马克:我让我妈别吵吵了,但是她不听。最后我特别生气,于是就掉头开回家了。
Jingjing: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Well,my New Year's went really well, but I'll tell you about it some other day, I don't want to rub it in your face.
京晶:哦,我很同情你。我的新年倒是过得挺好的,但是我还是改天再告诉你吧,我不想触到你的痛处。
Mark: That's a good idea, we'll talk later!
马克:好主意,那回聊吧。
习语短语
It's a long story.=说来话长。
fuss/fussing=争论
a back seat driver=某人没在开车,但是偏要指导开车的人该怎么开车。指指手划脚的人。
freak out=对某事非常担心
charley horse=肌肉痉挛,抽筋
put a sock in it=把袜子塞嘴里,想让某人闭嘴时用
frustrated=不高兴,受挫的
rub it in your face=触到某人的痛处。例如,如果我数学考了100分而你考了50分,我在你面前炫耀我的成绩就是“rub it in your face”。