My second story is about love and loss.
我的第二个故事是关于爱与失败。
I was lucky. I found what I loved to do early in life.
我很幸运,在人生很早的时期就找到了我所喜爱的东西。
Woz and I started Apple in my parents' garage when I was twenty.
20岁时,我与 Woz 在父母的车库里建立了苹果公司。
We worked hard and in ten years Apple had grown from just the two of us in a garage into a $2 billion company with over 4,000 employees.
我们很努力地工作,10年之内,苹果由最初车库中的两个人变成一家拥有4000多员工、价值20亿美元的公司。
We'd just released our finest creation the Macintosh, a year earlier, and I'd just turned thirty, and then I got fired.
那个时候我们最棒的产品Macintosh 刚刚推出一年,而我刚刚30岁,之后我被解雇了。
How can you get fired from a company you started?
你怎么可能被你自己创立的公司解雇?
Well, as Apple grew, we hired someone who I thought was very talented to run the company with me.
随着苹果的壮大,我们请了一个在我看来非常有才能的人来和我一起管理公司。
And for the first year or so, things went well.
第一年一切都非常顺利。
But then our visions of the future began to diverge, and eventually we had a falling out.
但是后来我们对于未来的看法出现了分歧,最终我们之间起了争论。
When we did, our board of directors sided with him.
争执发生之后,我们的董事会站在了他那一边。
And so at thirty, I was out, and very publicly out.
就在三十岁那年,我被炒鱿鱼了,一次非常惹人注目的解雇。
What had been the focus of my entire adult life was gone, and it was devastating.
一直以来都是我成年生活核心的东西,忽然不复存在了,那感觉相当可怕。
I really didn't know what to do for a few months.
有几个月的时间,我完全不知道该干什么。
I felt that I had let the previous generation of entrepreneurs down, that I had dropped the baton as it was being passed to me.
我感到自己辜负了前辈企业家的期望,就像接力棒交到我的手里,而我却把它丢掉了。
I met with David Packard and Bob Noyce and tried to apologize for screwing up so badly.
我跟 David Packard 与 Bob Noyce 见面,为自己把事情弄得如此糟糕而道歉。
I was a very public failure and I even thought about running away from the Valley.
我成了一名众所周知的失败者,我甚至想过离开硅谷。
But something slowly began to dawn on me. I still loved what I did.
然而有一种东西慢慢地照亮了我。我依然爱着我所爱的东西。
The turn of events at Apple had not changed that one bit.
发生在苹果公司的事并没能改变这一点。
I'd been rejected but I was still in love. And so I decided to start over.
虽然我被赶走了,但是我的爱依然还在,于是我决定重新开始。
I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me.
我当时并不知道,实际上被苹果解雇是当时发生在我身上的最好的事了。