What do you say squeaks?All right,let's do it.
你说什么,吱吱?好,我们开始吧。
You can make a compass too.
你也可以做指南针。
Just make sure you get a grown-up to help you.
只要确保你有一个成年人来帮助你。
To make a compass, you'll need a sewing needle, a piece of aluminum foil and a clear container of water with a flat bottom.
要想做一个指南针,你需要一根缝纫针,一块铝箔和一个底部平坦的装有水的透明容器。
Oh, yes, and a magnet.
哦,是的,还有一块磁铁。
Thanks squeaks.
谢谢,吱吱。
This is definitely where you'll want help from a grown-up.
做这部分时,你绝对会想寻求成年人的帮助。
First, carefully pick up the sewing needle and hold it by the end that has the hole in it.
首先,小心地拿起缝纫针,握住它有洞的那一端。
Now drag the magnet along the needle slowly from the end with the hole to the pointy end like this.
现在把磁铁沿着针慢慢地从有洞的一端拖到尖端,就像这样。
You'll need to do this about 15 or 20 times and always make sure you're doing it the same way from the whole end to the needle point Next, we'll need to fold our foil into a little boat of sorts and then poke the needle through it.
你需要这样做大约15到20次,并始终确保从整个末端到针尖的方法都是一样的,接下来我们需要将铝箔折叠成一艘小船,然后将针刺穿它。
Again make sure a grown-up helps you with this.
再次提醒,请确保有一个成年人帮你做这件事。
Trust me, poking your finger with a needle hurts.
相信我,被针戳到,你的手指会很疼。
Now, we're ready to finish our compass.
现在,我们将完成我们的指南针的制作。
All we have to do is gently float the foil on the water in our Bowl.
我们所要做的就是把铜箔轻轻地漂浮在碗里的水面上。
Wait a second and...
稍等片刻...
Look!
看!
The needle turned and it is now pointing north.
指针转动并且现在正指向北方。
We did it!
我们做到了!
Good question squeaks.
问得好,吱吱。
But before I explain what happened in this experiment let me explain how compasses work in general.
但在我解释这个实验中发生的事情之前,让我先解释一下指南针一般是如何工作的。
The reason why a compass points north is really cool.
指南针指向北方的原因真的很酷。
It's because the pointy part inside is a magnet and magnets have two ends called poles.
这是因为里面的尖头部分是一块磁铁,磁铁有两端,称为磁极。
One end of the magnet is called the north pole and the other is called the south pole.
磁铁的一端被称为北极,另一端被称为南极。
No matter which direction they're facing and opposite poles of two different magnets attract.
无论两个不同的磁铁朝向哪个方向,相反的两极都会相互吸引。
That means they pull on each other.
这意味着他们互相拉扯。
Meanwhile, similar poles repel each other.
与此同时,相似的两极相互排斥。
Repel means push away.
排斥意味着推开。
Now, here's the really awesome part.
现在,这是真正令人惊叹的部分。
Our planet Earth is basically one huge magnet, so it also has magnetic poles.
我们的行星地球基本上是一块巨大的磁铁,所以它也有磁极。
That means the Earth's poles act the same way that a magnet's poles do.
这意味着地球两极的行为方式与磁铁的两极行为相同。
They attract and repel the poles of other magnets.
它们吸引和排斥其他磁铁的磁极。
And they just so happen to line up pretty well with the parts of the planet we call the north and south pole.
然后它们只是碰巧与我们所说的北极和南极的部分排成了一条线。
You've get it!
你已经明白了!
The earth's magnetic poles pull and push a compass needles magnetic poles and that's what causes the compass to Point North.
地球的磁极拉动和推动指南针的磁极,这就是导致指南针指向北方的原因。
So why do you think our sewing needle pointed North?
你觉得我们的缝纫针为什么会指向北方?
That's right, I said the needle of a compass is a magnet.
是的,我说过指南针的针尖是一块磁铁。
So...That's it!
所以...就这样!
Our sewing needle became a magnet that first step we did where we rubbed the needle with your magnet actually magnetized the sewing needle.
在我们做的第一步,我们用你的磁铁摩擦缝纫针,实际上磁化了缝纫针。
In other words, it turned it into a magnet.
换句话说,它把缝纫针变成了一块磁铁。
The pointy end became the north pole of a magnet and the other end became the south pole .
尖尖的一端变成了磁铁的北极,另一端变成了南极。
You know, squeaks, you're absolutely right.
你知道,吱吱,你说得太对了。
It seems like the north pole of the earth should repel the north pole of our compass needle.
似乎地球的北极排斥我们指南针的北极。
But here's the weird thing the earth's north magnetic pole is actually in the south and its south magnetic pole is in the north.
但奇怪的是,地球的北极实际上在南方,而南极在北方。
So the earth's south magnetic pole is pulling the north pole of our needle to the north and the Earth's north magnetic pole is pulling the south pole of our needle to the south which is weird and confusing.
因此,地球的南极正在将我们针的北极拉向北方,而地球的北极正在将我们的针的南极拉向南方,这是奇怪和令人困惑的。
I know, but hey, I didn't name these things.
我知道,但嘿,这些东西都不是我说的。
Exactly squeaks, since the earth's magnetic poles are always pulling on the poles of other magnets, all we had to do to get our magnetized needle to point north was let it freely spin about in response to those forces, which is what the foil and water were for.
确切地说,由于地球的磁极总是拉着其他磁铁的磁极,我们所要做的就是让我们的磁化针指向北方,让它在这些力的作用下自由旋转,这就是箔和水的用途。
Cool huh?
很酷吧?
Oh, wow.
哦,哇。
Look at the time!
看看都几点了!
We told Jesse we'd meet her in the garden to help pull weeds.
我们告诉杰西,我们会在花园里会见她,帮她除草。
So we better get going and we'll look into getting you a compass.
所以我们最好现在出发,我们会想办法给你弄个指南针。
That's a bit easier to carry around than this bowl.
这比这个碗更容易随身携带。
That way you can make your way to and from the river a little quicker next time.
那样的话,你下次来往河流的速度就会更快一些。
Mr Brown loves camping and roasting things over the campfire like hot dogs and marshmallows.
布朗喜欢露营,喜欢在篝火上烤东西,比如热狗和棉花糖。
So even though they aren't really traditional Thanksgiving Foods.
因此,尽管这些不是真正传统的感恩节食品。
Let's make Mr Brown a whole bunch of hot dogs.
也让我们给布朗先生做一大堆热狗吧。
And we can have a fire in the backyard after dinner and makes more for dessert.
我们还可以在晚饭后在后院生一堆火,然后做多一点点心。
What do you think?
你认为如何?