"I might as well 'gild refined gold.' I know it: you request is granted then -- for the time.
“我还不如‘给纯金镶上金子’。我知道了,那么你的请求,我同意了--现在就这样。
I will remand the order I despatched to my banker.
我会撤回送给银行代理人的订单。
But you have not yet asked for anything; you have prayed a gift to be withdrawn: try again."
不过你还没有向我要什么呢,你只要求我收回礼物。再试一下吧。”
"Well then, sir, have the goodness to gratify my curiosity, which is much piqued on one point."
“那么,好呀,先生。请你满足我在某一个问题上大大激起的好奇心。”
He looked disturbed. "What? what?" he said hastily.
他显得不安了。“什么?什么?”他忙不迭地问。
"Curiosity is a dangerous petition: it is well I have not taken a vow to accord every request..."
“好奇心是一位危险的请求者:幸亏我没有发誓同意你的每个要求...”

"But there can be no danger in complying with this, sir."
“但是答应这个要求并没有什么危险,先生。”
"Utter it, Jane: but I wish that instead of a mere inquiry into, perhaps, a secret, it was a wish for half my estate."
“说吧,简。不过但愿这不只是打听--也许打听一个秘密,而是希望得到我的一半家产。”
"Now, King Ahasuerus! What do I want with half your estate?
“哎呀,亚哈随鲁王!我要你一半的家产干什么?
Do you think I am a Jew-usurer, seeking good investment in land?
你难道以为我是犹太高利贷者,要在土地上好好投资一番。
I would much rather have all your confidence.
我宁愿能同你推心置腹。
You will not exclude me from your confidence if you admit me to your heart?"
要是你已答应向我敞开心扉,那你就不会不让我知道你的隐秘吧。”