Oh, Hi Sam!
哦,嗨,山姆!
Hey, Jessi!
嗨,杰西!
This is our friend Sam the Bat!
这是我们的朋友,蝙蝠山姆!
Sam’s visiting the Fort today.
山姆今天做客堡垒。
Hey everyone!
大家好!
Sam, do you want to see a cool trick I can do with this balloon?
山姆,你想看看我能用这个气球做什么吗?
I like cool tricks and balloons!
我喜欢很酷的技巧和气球!
Okay, here goes.
好的,在这里。
How did you get that balloon to make different kinds of sounds?
你是怎么让气球发出不同的声音的?
Well, when I pull the balloon tight, so there’s only a tiny little space for the air to come out, it makes a high sound.
当我把气球拉紧时,只有很小的空间让空气出来,它会发出很大的声音。
Interesting!
好有意思啊!
And when I don’t pull it as tight, so the air comes out of a bigger space, it makes a lower sound.
当我不把它拉得那么紧时,空气就会从更大的空间出来,发出更低沉的声音。
But you want to know something really cool?
但你想知道一些真正酷的东西吗?
What?
是什么?
This balloon is actually a lot like the way people can sing.
这个气球实际上很像人们唱歌的方式。
What do you mean?
什么意思?
Well, try singing a high note.
嗯,试着唱一个高音。
Wow, great singing!
唱的好棒!
Well, thank you!
谢谢你的夸奖!
So when you hit that high note, you tightened something down in your throat, inside your neck.
所以当你唱到高音时,你会把脖子内部的喉咙收紧。
They’re called your /vocal folds/ which are like folds of skin.
这叫做声襞,就像皮肤的褶皱。
People also sometimes call them vocal cords.
人们有时也称它们为声带。
I tightened my vocal folds?
我拉紧了我的声带?
Really?
真的吗?
But I’ve never even heard of them!
但我从来没听说过!
That’s because we do it without even thinking about it!
那是因为我们在做的时候根本没想过!
You don’t have to think to yourself, “Now I’m going to tighten my vocal folds.”
你不必对自己说,“现在我要收紧我的声带。”
You just sing that high note, and your body knows what to do.
你只要唱高音,你的身体就知道该怎么做了。
That’s really neat.
真灵巧。
And let me guess, when I sing a low note… shall I?
让我试试,当我唱低音的时候…
Please!
请唱!
Lovely!
真棒!
Thank you!
谢谢啊!
So when you sing a low note, the… what were those called?
所以当你唱低音的时候,什么来着?
Vocal folds.
声带。
The vocal folds aren’t as tight.
声带没有那么紧。
Is that right?
对么?
Exactly.
正是。
So you know how a balloon has air in it?
你知道气球里有空气吗?
That’s what I was letting out of the balloon.
这就是我从气球里放出来的东西。
Yep!
没错!
Remember how I controlled how much air I let out?
还记得我是怎么控制我放出多少空气的吗?
If I held it tight, not much air was let out.
如果我收紧,就不会放出多少空气。
And if I held it a little looser, more air came out.
如果我放松一点,就会放出更多的空气。
Right!
就是这样!
So when I held it tight, the air coming out made the neck of the balloon vibrate, or move back and forth, really really fast.
所以当我紧紧握住它的时候,出来的空气使气球颈部震动,或者前后移动,非常非常快。
That’s what made the high sound!
那就是发出这种高音的原因!
And when I held it a little looser, the balloon didn’t vibrate as fast, so it made a lower sound.
当我放松一点,气球没有那么快的振动,所以发出了更低的声音。
When we sing, our lungs and throat are kind of like this balloon.
当我们唱歌时,我们的肺和喉咙有点像这个气球。
Our lungs are located in the middle of our body, in our chest, and they fill up with air, and then let that air out.
肺位于身体中部,在胸部,吸气时充满空气,呼气让空气出去。
That’s how we breathe!
我们就是这样呼吸的!
We take air in and we breathe it out.
我们吸入空气,然后呼出。
Breathe in.
吸入。
And breathe out.
呼出。
We let out air when we talk or sing, too.
当我们说话或唱歌时,空气也会流出。
Your lungs deliver air to something called the /larynx/, which is in the middle of your throat.
肺把空气输送到喉部,喉咙的中央。
And those vocal folds we talked about are on the top of the larynx.
我们提到过的声带在喉部的顶部。
Then that air travels through your throat and your mouth.
然后空气通过喉咙和嘴。
And just like the air coming out of the balloon made a sound because it made the neck of the balloon vibrate,
和气球里的气一样,因为空气使气球颈部震动,
when you talk or sing, the air traveling through your throat makes your vocal folds vibrate.
当人说话或唱歌时,流经喉咙的空气会使声带振动。
Wow, that’s /amaaaazing!/
哇,真是很棒啊!
Beautiful, Sam!
唱得好,山姆!
Did you know that professional singers actually work on training their breath so they have a whole lot of control over it, so they can make a really soft sound
你知道吗?职业歌手实际上是在训练他们的呼吸,这样他们就可以控制自己的呼吸,发出非常柔和的声音
or a big, bold sound!
或者粗犷的声音!
Their vocal folds aren’t really different from anyone else’s;
他们的声带和其他人没有什么不同;
it’s that control that makes the difference.
正是这种控制造成了差异。
Wow, cool!
哇,真酷啊!
Sam, can I show you one more thing?
萨姆,我能再给你看一件东西吗?
Sure!
当然!
See how when I pluck the rubber band, it makes a sound, but it’s not that loud?
看,当我拉橡皮筋时,它会发出声音,但不是那么大声。
But what about when I pluck that rubber band inside this box?
但是当我朝盒子拨动橡皮筋的时候呢?
Let’s see!
让我们拭目以待!
Oh, it’s definitely louder now, and nicer sounding, too.
哦,现在声音肯定更大了,听起来也更好了。
You can think of the rubber band as like your vocal folds.
你可以把橡皮筋想象成声带。
It vibrates when I pluck it, just like your vocal folds or the neck of the balloon.
当我拨动它时,它会震动,就像声带或气球颈部一样。
The box is like your throat and mouth.
盒子就像喉咙和嘴巴。
They help make your voice sound fuller and louder.
能让声音听起来更饱满、更响亮。
Well, I think I’m going to go play my favorite instrument.
嗯,我想要去玩我最喜欢的乐器。
What’s that, Jessi?
你最喜欢的乐器是什么?
Mine’s the piano.
我的是钢琴。
I do like the piano!
我真的很喜欢钢琴!
But really, my favorite instrument is my voice!
但是说真的,我最喜欢的乐器是我的声音!
Well then, let’s go play!
那么让我们去玩吧!
Thanks!
感谢收看!
And we’ll see you next time, here at the Fort!
下次在堡垒见!
Bye!
再见!