LESSON 85 DEATH OF SAMSON
第八十五课 萨姆逊之死
Occasions drew me early to this city, and, as the gates I entered with sunrise,
赶巧我早早来到这座城市,踏进城门使正值旭日东升,
The morning trumpets festival proclaimed through each high street,
清晨的喇叭声宣告节日降临每条大街都已传遍,
little I had dispatched, when all abroad was rumored that this day Samson should be brought forth,
我没做什么事情。萨姆逊站到前面来,介绍给大家,
to show the people proof of his mighty strength in feats and games.
从他的武艺就看得出力大无穷。
I sorrowed at his captive state, but minded not to be absent at that spectacle.
我为他沦为阶下囚而悲伤,可是真不想错过这盛况。
The building was a spacious theater half-round, on two main pillars vaulted high,
这建筑是宽敞的剧院,两根大柱子撑住了上面半圆形穹顶,
with seats where all the lords, and each degree of sort, might sit in order to behold;
是为所有大人,各级官员设的专座,坐着就可以一览无余;
The other side was open, where the throng on banks and scaffolds under sky might stand: I among these aloof obscurely stood.
另一侧没有什么遮挡视线,人们露天站在斜坡和断头台上:在人群中我独自站着,没人注目。
The feast and noon grew high, and sacrifice had filled their hearts with mirth, high cheer, and wine, when to their sports they turned,
盛宴到中午达到高潮,祭品是他们心满意足,欢乐,美酒,兴致高,当目光转向娱乐嬉戏时,