Columbus and His Son, Diego
哥伦布和他的儿子迭戈
Long ago people thought the world was flat.
很久以前,人们认为地球是平的。
Read this story to find out what brave thing a man did to prove that the world is round.
阅读一下这则故事,看看一个人究竟做了什么英勇的事情来证明地球是圆的。
A Place Of Rest By The Roadside
路边的休憩之地
One day, more than four hundred years ago, a man and a boy were walking along a road in Spain.
四百多年前的一天,在西班牙,一个男人带着一个男孩在路上行走。
For a long time they had been traveling in the hot sun, and now they were very tired.
经过在烈日下很长一段时间的行走,现在他们非常累。
At last they saw ahead of them a long, low building,
最后,他们看见前方一个又长又矮的建筑,
"Diego," said the man, "we will ask the good friars at that convent for a cool drink of water.
那个男人说道:迭戈,我们去找修道院善良的修士要一杯凉水吧。
They will let us rest there, and perhaps they can help me get ships for my great journey.
他们会让我们在那里休息,可能还能帮助我找到一只船,让我开始伟大的航程。
I can then prove that the world is round."
届时,我就能证明地球是圆的了。
I shall be glad to rest, Father, for I am very tired, said the boy.
爸爸,我很高兴能休息一下,因为我真的很累了。
"But why do you think that the friars can help you?
男孩说,但你为什么认为那些修士能帮你呢?
You have asked many people for help, but no one has been willing to give you money or ships!"
你向很多人寻求过帮助,但是没有人愿意给你钱或是船啊!
It is true, Diego, said the father, "that the kings and the rich men have not been willing to help me.
父亲说:这是事实,迭戈,国王和有钱人不愿意帮助我,
Still I shall never give up hope.
但我永远不会放弃希望。
These good friars are wise and kind,
这些善良的修士聪明、仁慈。
They spend their lives in this convent, reading and studying all the good books they can find.
他们在修道院中度过自己的一生,阅读和研究所有他们能够找到的好书。