Paddy Bear
帕迪熊
One morning Paddy Bear went with his mother to weed the garden.
一天清晨,帕迪熊和他妈妈一起去给菜园除草。
Paddy Bear did not want to work in the garden.
帕迪熊不想在菜园里干活。
He wanted to run and play all day in the woods.
他想一整天都在森林里奔跑和玩耍。
"Oh, dear!" said Paddy. "I am tired of work.
“哦,天那”!帕迪说。我讨厌干活。
I don't want to weed the garden.
我不想给菜园除草。
I wish that I could do just what I want to do for one day."
我希望有一整天时间做我想做的事。
Mother Bear said, "Very well. Tomorrow you may do just what you want to all day long."
熊妈妈说,“好吧。那明天一整天你可以想做什么就做什么。
"Oh," said Paddy, " that will be fun.
“啊”,帕迪说,“那会很有趣的。
Now I must think about it. What shall I do tomorrow?
现在,我必须想一想。我明天要做啥呢?
What do I like to do best?"
我最喜欢做什么呢?
Paddy Bear thought and thought about the things he liked to do.
帕迪熊他想啊想,想着他喜欢做的事。
He liked to roll down hills, but that made him tired.
他喜欢从小山上滚下来,但是那样做会很累。
He liked to splash in the water.
他喜欢在水中戏水。
But water made his coat wet, and sometimes it got up his nose.
但水会弄湿他的外套,而且有时候水还会溅到鼻子里。
He liked to climb trees for honey, but sometimes the bees stung him.
他喜欢爬树找蜂蜜,但是有时候蜜蜂会蛰他。
Paddy Bear did not know just what he liked to do best.
帕迪熊不知道他最喜欢做什么。
"I think that I will do nothing tomorrow," said Paddy.
“我想我明天还是什么都不做好”,帕迪说。
"Maybe I will just be lazy."
“也许我就是很懒惰”。
"Do you think that you will like to be lazy?" asked Mother Bear.
“你觉得你自己喜欢懒惰吗”?熊妈妈问道。
"I'll try it now and see," said Paddy.
“我现在就试试看”,帕迪说道。
So he sat down under a tree.
于是,他在一棵树下坐了下来。
He sat there for a long, long time.
他在那儿坐了很长很长的时间。
But he did not like that.
但是他不喜欢那样。
"Oh, my, oh, me!" thought Paddy.
“哦,天那,哦,天那”!帕迪想。
"I am tired of doing nothing. It is not fun to be lazy."
“我讨厌无所事事。懒惰一点都不好玩。”
Just then Mother Bear called.
就在这时,熊妈妈在喊他。
"Come here, Paddy!" she said.
“帕迪,到这里来”!她说。
"Let us surprise Father Bear. Let us dig a new home for him."
“我们给熊爸爸一个惊喜吧。我们给他挖一个新家吧。”
"Oh, that will be fine," said Paddy.
“哦,那太好了”,帕迪说。
"Maybe we can make it before Father comes home this evening."
“或许我们能在爸爸今天晚上回家之前挖好”。
Paddy helped his mother all day.
帕迪一整天都在帮他妈妈。
That evening Mother Bear said, "We must stop. Father is coming. He must not see what we are doing."
那天晚上熊妈妈说,“我们必须要停下来。爸爸就要回来了。一定不能让他看到我们在做什么”。
Paddy said, "I'll work tomorrow."
帕迪说,“那我明天再挖吧”。
Mother Bear shook her head.
熊妈妈摇了摇头。
"Oh, no, no," she said. "Tomorrow you are going to do what you want to."
“哦,不、不”,她说。“明天你要做你自己想做的事情”。
"But I want to work," said Paddy.
“但是我想干活”,帕迪说。
"Well, well!" said his mother.
“好吧,好吧”!妈妈说。
"What a funny little bear you are!"
“你真是只有趣的小熊”!
The next day Paddy was busy and happy all day long.
第二天,帕迪一整天都很忙碌,但也很快乐。
Before evening a nice new home was ready. It had two big rooms.
天黑之前,一个漂亮的新家就建好了。它有两间大房子。
When Father Bear came back, he said, "Paddy, did you help make this nice new home?"
当熊爸爸回来的时候,他说,“帕迪,这个漂亮的新家是你帮忙建造的吗”?
"Yes," said Paddy. "It was fun."
“是的”,帕迪说。“这很有趣”。
Mother Bear laughed and said, "Paddy thinks it is more fun to work than to be lazy."
熊妈妈笑着说,“帕迪觉得干活比懒惰更有趣”。