After reading an article entitled
读完一篇题为
'Cigarette Smoking and Your Health'
《吸烟与健康》的文章之后
I lit a cigarette to calm my nerves.
我点上了一支香烟来镇定一下自己紧张的神经
I smoked with concentration and pleasure
我聚精会神而又愉快地吸着这支烟
as I was sure that this would be my last cigarette.
因为我确信这是我最后一支烟了
For a whole week I did not smoke at all
整整一个星期我根本没有吸烟
and during this time, my wife suffered terribly.
在此期间 我妻子吃尽了苦头
I had all the usual symptoms of someone giving up smoking:
我具备了戒烟者通常表现出来的所有症状
a bad temper and an enormous appetite.
脾气暴躁和食欲旺盛
My friends kept on offering me cigarettes and cigars.
我的朋友们不断地向我递香烟和雪茄
They made no effort to hide their amusement
每当我从口袋里掏出一包糖果时
whenever I produced a packet of sweets from my pocket.
他们都毫不掩饰地表现出他们对此感到非常好笑
After seven days of this, I went to a party.
这样过了7天以后 我去参加一次聚会
Everybody around me was smoking and I felt extremely uncomfortable.
我周围的每个人都在吸烟 我感到非常不自在
When my old friend Brian urged me to accept a cigarette,
当我的老朋友布赖恩极力劝我接受一支香烟时
it was more than I could bear.
我再也忍不住了
I took one guiltily, lit it
我内疚地接过一支点上
and smoked with satisfaction.
心满意足地抽起来
My wife was delighted that things had returned to normal once more.
一切又都恢复了正常 为此我妻子十分高兴
Anyway, as Brian pointed out,
不管怎么说 正如布赖恩指出的那样
it is the easiest thing in the world to give up smoking.
戒烟是世界上最容易的事情
He himself has done it lots of times!
他自己就已戒了很多次了