Hello! This week on Ask a Teacher, we answer a question from Hoang in Vietnam about how to think in English.
你好!本周《名师答疑》,我们回答来自越南的宏提出的问题:如何用英语思考。
Dear Teacher, people say that to speak English fluently, you need to think in English.
亲爱的老师,人们说要想流利地说英语,你需要用英语思考。
So how can I think in English faster?
那么我怎样才能更快地用英语思考呢?
When I talk with foreigners…with the first conversation, I talk very slowly and the remaining time I use for thinking.
当我和外国人交谈时……在第一轮谈话时,我说得很慢,剩下的时间我都用来思考。
And with the second conversation (because I've been talking before), I feel natural and I speak more fluently.
第二轮谈话时(因为我之前一直在说话),我感觉很自然,说话也更流利。
So how can I be fluent like the second conversation when I'm having the first conversation?
那么当我进行第一轮对话时,怎样才能像第二轮对话那样流利呢?
Thank you, Hoang
谢谢解答,宏。
I’m happy to answer this question, Hoang.
我很高兴回答这个问题,宏。
It can be difficult to fully explain how to think in a foreign language.
要清楚解释如何用外语思考是很难的。
That is because the explanation asks us to consider the relationship between thoughts and the language we use to express them.
因为要解释这个问题,我们就要考虑思想与用来表达思想的语言之间有什么关系。
However, we can still notice what happens when we think in a foreign language.
然而,我们仍然可以注意到当我们用外语思考时会发生什么。
And we can compare it to times when we have to pause and translate from our native language.
我们可以将这种情况与我们必须暂停、从母语翻译成外语的情况进行比较。
Consider what happens when you exchange simple greetings, questions, and answers in a foreign language.
想一想当你用外语进行简单的问候、提简单的问题、给出简单的回答时会发生什么。
If someone asks you in English, “How are you today?” you can probably answer without pausing or translating from your native language.
如果有人用英语问你“你今天怎么样?”,你可能可以毫不迟疑地回答,无需从母语翻译过来。
For example, you can quickly reply, “I’m fine, thank you. And how are you?”
例如,你可以快速回复:“我很好,谢谢。你呢?”
This example shows us the basic things we need for thinking in a foreign language.
这个例子向我们展示了用外语思考所需的基本要素。
In this situation, you know all the words you need to say.
在这种情况下,你知道所有你需要说的单词。
You don’t need to stop and think about the grammar.
你不需要停下来思考语法。
And you have heard and said these phrases so many times that your response is automatic.
而且你已经听过和说过这些短语很多次了,所以自动就回答了。
The reason the second conversation you talk about feels more natural is because you have already heard and used some of the vocabulary and grammar you need.
你说第二轮对话感觉更自然,那是因为你已经听到并使用了一些你需要的词汇和语法。
So, for any subject you want to discuss, you will be able to think in English after you have learned and practiced what you need to say many times.
所以无论你想要讨论什么主题,只要你学习并练习了很多次你需要说的内容之后,你都能够用英语思考。
Here are some suggestions for learning to think in English:
这里有一些学习用英语思考的建议:
Choose a subject you are interested in discussing.
选择一个你感兴趣的讨论主题。
Then, imagine you are speaking with another person.
然后想象你正在和另一个人说话。
How easily and quickly can your mind find the vocabulary and grammar you need?
你的大脑能够多轻松、多快速地找到你需要的词汇和语法?
Note when you need to pause to find vocabulary or think about grammar.
注意你什么时候需要停下来去寻找词汇或者思考语法。
Next, learn the vocabulary and grammar and then practice using them several times.
接下来,学习这些词汇和语法,然后练习使用几次。
Repeat the words until they become automatic.
重复这些单词,直到能自动说出。
If you can plan ahead and practice in your mind what you will likely talk about, then your first conversation might feel easier and similar to a second conversation.
如果你能够提前计划,并在脑海中练习你可能会谈论的内容,那么你的第一轮对话可能会变得更容易,变得类似第二轮对话。
Keep in mind that, to think in English, you need to read, listen to, and speak as much English as possible.
请记住,要想用英语思考,你需要尽可能多地读、听和说英语。
This will help your mind use English more easily.
这将有助于你的大脑更轻松地使用英语。
And that’s Ask a Teacher.
以上就是本期《名师答疑》。
I’m Andrew Smith.
我是安德鲁·史密斯。