What?
怎么了
Do I sound jaded, or...
是不是很负能量
Just know, I started out as idealistic as you
就是说 我当年也是个理想主义者
or any of your friends over there.
跟你和你的小伙伴一样
And I'm not saying what, you know, what you do...
而且我也不是想 怎么说呢 让你怎么样...
I could tell I'd lost her.
我感觉我要失去她了
Lost her respect.
失去她的敬意
And I wanted it back.
我想努力夺回来
I thought if I could summarize the trajectory of my life,
我想着要是我总结一下我过往的岁月
she would understand me,
她就会理解我的
see me as someone who'd lost the good fight,
会觉得我是经历过奋斗与挣扎
but had fought it nonetheless.
只不过无力再战而已
I mean, when I was in journalism school, that's...
我当初在新闻学院的时候
that was the ideal, you know?
真的是充满了理想
Everybody wanted to be Woodward and Bernstein.
人人都想当沃德伍德和伯恩斯坦
You know what I mean? You know... Mm. Mmhmm.
变得富有影响力 嗯
You know who they are, right? Yeah, yeah, of course.
你知道他们吧 知道
I told her about my career mistakes,
我和她说了我生涯里所犯的错误
my years in journalism just as the newspaper business was folding.
我搞新闻的日子就和报纸产业本身一样日渐萧条
My attempt to start a digital magazine in San Francisco,
然后我尝试在旧金山做电子杂志
but how no one wanted to read longform pieces anymore.
但是人们已经不再适应长篇幅阅读了
And how I'd won a few prestigious prizes, but my magazine had still gone bust.
尽管我拿了一些有分量的奖 杂志还是办不下去
Yeah, we won a Peabody.
我得了皮博迪奖
I mean, you know, not that that matters, but...
没有那么重要 不过多少还是...
I talked about my friends from college,
我又讲了我的大学同学
and how they'd sold out and gotten rich,
是如何推销自己 然后富甲一方
and didn't invite me to their milestone events,
最后办喜事都不带叫我的
even though I'd been the heart and soul of our group.
尽管我当年还是他们团队的核心
I may have failed in their eyes,
他们可能觉得我挺失败的
but at least I still had my integrity
但是我也守住了我的底线
and could sleep at night.
晚上也睡得安稳