When Caleb was born and the doctors discovered that he was different, I didn't even cry.
Caleb出生的时候医生发现他有些不同,我甚至没有哭。
It was the most painful moment of mylife. I didn't shed a single tear.
那是我这一生中最痛苦的一刻,但我没有流一滴眼泪。
I just thought to myself, what's the point?
我只是问自己,什么是最重要的?
He is my son, and I have to raise him as best I can.
他是我儿子,我得抚养他,尽我所能。
Now that's my job. In a lot of ways, I feel so blessed.
那是我的责任,在很多方面,我觉得很幸福。
Caleb is challenged, but he has such a sweet nature.
Caleb遭遇不幸,但他本性非常善良。
I'm sure you noticed that when you came to visit.
我敢肯定,当你去看他的时候就注意到了。
Yes, I did. I also noticed that you had him chained in the basement.
是的,我还知道你把他锁在地下室。
That's because of Melanie Foster. Melanie was a girl that Matthew dated.
那是因为Melanie Foster,Melanie是和Matthew约会过的女孩。
She was a debutante. And like typical teenagers,their relationship was full of drama.
她涉世未深,就像典型的青少年一样,他们的关系充满了戏剧性。
They were always breaking up and getting back together and breaking up.
他们总是分了又合,合了又分。
One night, after one of their big blow-ups,
一个晚上,他们其中一次的大争吵后,
Caleb somehow convinced Melanie to meet him down at our local lumberyard.
Caleb不知怎么说服了Melanie,在我们当地的木场见面。
I can only imagine that she thought he was bringing some kind of apology from Matthew, but he wasn't.
我只能猜想她认为他是帮Matthew道歉来的,但他不是。
Caleb told Melanie he was in love with her, and that if he was her boyfriend,
Caleb告诉Melanie他爱上她了,如果他是她的男朋友,
he would never break up with her and she laughed in his face.
他永远不会和她分手,她笑他,
He tried to show her he was serious by kissing her and she hit him.
他试着吻她来表示他是认真的,她打了他。
He doesn't remember a lot of what happened after that,
他不记得后面发生了什么,
but he, he does know that he got very, very angry
但是,他肯定他非常,非常的生气,
and that there was an ax lying on the ground nearby him.
并且,那儿有把斧头在他附近。
Yes, my Caleb killed Melanie, but I couldn't let him go to jail or worse, be put down,
是的,我的Caleb杀了Melanie,但是我不能让他去坐牢,或者更糟的,被处决
for what was really my crime.
而事实上是我的罪行。
Your crime?
你的罪行?
It was my responsibility. I was supposed to protect him from himself.
是我的责任,我应该保护他。
I am his mother. That was my job.
我是他母亲,那是我的责任。