There are some fish that cannot be caught.
有些鱼人们抓不到
It's not that they're faster or stronger than other fish.
不是因为他们壮硕敏捷
They're just touched by something extra.
而是因为他们拥有别的特质
One such fish was The Beast.
其中有条“大怪鱼”
And by the time I was born he was already a legend.
在我出生时,他就已经是个传说
He'd passed up more $ 100 lures than any fish in Alabama.
他是阿拉巴马最多人想钓的鱼 但却没人钓得到他
Some said that fish was the ghost of a thief...
有人说这条鱼是60年前…
who'd drowned in that river 60 years before.
淹死在河中的小偷冤魂化身
Others claimed he was a dinosaur left over from the "Cruaceous" Period.
还有人说他是恐龙时代的活化石
I didn't put any stock into such speculation or superstition.
我不迷信也不乱猜
All I knew was I'd been trying to catch that fish...
我只知道我从你这个岁数开始…
since I was a boy no bigger than you.
就一直想钓到这条鱼
And on the day you were born...
就在你出生的那天…
Well, that was the day I finally caught him.
我终于钓到他了
Now, I'd tried everything on it:
我在他身上试过各种诱饵:
Worms, lures, peanut butter, peanut butter and cheese.
虫子、人造饵、花生酱 花生酱加起司
But on that day I had a revelation:
但那天,我脑中灵光乍现
If that fish was Henry Walls' ghost, then the usual bait wasn't gonna work.
那条鱼如果是偷儿的冤魂化身 普通鱼饵根本没用
I was gonna have to use something he truly desired.
我得用他真正想要的东西来钓
Your finger? - Gold.
你的手指头吗? -金子
Now, I tied my ring onto the strongest line they made...
我把婚戒用最坚韧的钓线绑妥…
strong enough to hold up a bridge, they said, if only for a few minutes.
那钓线可以撑住一座桥 如果只撑几分钟的话
And then I cast upriver.
然后我往上游抛杆.