Lightman: The attack on Foster was predictable. I should have seen that coming.
对Foster的袭击是可预见的。我应该能想到的。
Jenkins: Can't always be one step ahead.
你不能总是先人一步。
Lightman: Yeah, but I'm a man of science. Shouldn't have lost it like that.
对,但我是科学家。不应该就这样疏忽了。
Jenkins: You were trying to show off for your little protégé. Show you were still Number One.
你想在你的小跟班面前炫耀。证明你还是老大。
But you got carried away, and...now she's walking all over you.
但是你过头了,现在她凌驾你之上了。
Lightman: And I suppose your protégé wouldn't act out like that, right?
你的跟班应该不会这么做,对吧?
Torres: He's comparing me to the copycat.
他拿我和模仿杀手相提并论。
Jenkins: Short leash. That's the key.
短链。这才是关键。
Lightman: When I first met Torres, she was screening carry-ons at the airport for 12 bucks an hour.
我第一次见到Torres的时候她拿着12块钱的时薪,在机场检查随身行李。
Now barely four months later, she's breaking up with me.
现在还没到四个月,她就要和我闹翻了。
Jenkins: Maybe she likes me better.
也许她更喜欢我。
Lightman: No, I'm not talking about romance here.
不,我说的不是爱情。
This is the third phase of the mentor- protégé relationship-- separation.
这是导师和学徒关系的第三个阶段——分道扬镳。
Phase one--initiation, establishing shared interests.
第一阶段是初始阶段,建立共同兴趣爱好。
Jenkins: Like falling in love.
和相爱一样。
Lightman: Phase two's even better. Mutual growth, high productivity. Could go on for years.
第二阶段更棒。相互成长,高产率。可以持续很多年。
And then one day, the protégé surpasses the mentor. He closed.
然后有一天,青出于蓝而胜于蓝。他结束了。
Loker: Jenkins' heart rate is through the roof. He's not a happy camper.
Jenkins的心跳飞速。他很不高兴。
Lightman: Murder's all over the news. He's even got a nickname. He's the "Capital Killer." He's more famous than you are now, so...
现在所有新闻都在报道这起谋杀。他都有外号了呢,人称"首都杀手"。他现在比你还出名。